Willoughby Jacket - No "at the same time" instructions. What is your interpretation?

Dear Knitting Help community,

I’m having difficulty interpreting this pattern. I’ve only just completed the 1” garter stitch upon which I arrived at:

"Circle Cable Pattern Set Up: *K4, m1r; rep from * 19[20, 21, 23, 25, 27] more times, k to end of rnd. = 104[110, 116, 122, 134, 146]sts
Next Row (WS): P all sts.

Row 1 (RS): K1, circle cable patt to last st, k1.
Row 2 (WS): P all sts.
Rep these 2 rows until lower body measures 5.25[6, 6.75, 7.5, 8.25, 10]” (13.5[15, 17, 19, 21, 25.5]cm) from CO edge, ending after a row 2 or 6 in patt, making a note of last row worked.
Set work aside.”

Yet the above instructions DO NOT include where and when to place the circle cable pattern as depicted in the chart to the right of the written instructions. Chart Pattern: Row1 cable pattern, R2 purl, R3k, R4p, R5, etc., cable pattern which does not follow written instructions.

I see that the pattern repeats every 8 rows, but I don’t see where you’d insert K4, m1r; rep from. I can’t imagine that it would be worked within the cable pattern, so is it worked on only rows 3 and 7 which are knit rows?

Thanks!

After the garter rows, work the Circle Cable Pattern Set Up (the increase row that begins (K4, m1r…) using the larger size needle. Purl the next row. These rows are to adjust the stitch count and are only worked once right here at the transition from garter to cable patterns.

On Row 1 k1, work repeats of the circle cable patt row 1 to the last stitch, k1. Then repeat the edge stitches with succeeding rows of the chart on the following rows.

You’re my knitting hero! I just couldn’t see past the increases. You know why? Because I’d just finished a sweater where you mi r/l to increase along the length of the garment.

I was interpreting it in that manner instead of actually UNDERSTANDING the instructions.

Set up row.
m1 every four stitches.

duh!

THANKS so much YOU!

1 Like