Will this stockinette shawl pattern really work or will it be a curled mess?

I downloaded this pattern from a website, but from everything I understand about stockinette for shawls/scarves, it curls. Can anyone figure out if this pattern will curl and how? Or will it really be a proper shawl?
Thanks in advance.

Gauge:
18 stitches and 24 rows per 4 inches (4.5 stitches and 6 rows per inch) in Stockinette Stitch. Gauge is not critical.

Size:
Finished wrap is 40 inches wide at the bound off edge and 33 inches long, excluding the fringe.

Instructions:
[lo]Cast on 3 stitches.
Purl one row.
Knit the next row, increasing by knitting into the front and back of the first and last stitch.
Purl the next row.
Continue in this manner, increasing on knit rows and working straight on purl rows, until piece measures about 40 inches wide.
Bind off, cut yarn, weave in ends. You should have one ball of yarn left.
Cut the remaining yarn into 6-inch pieces and use it to make fringe around the sides (not the top edge) of the shawl.

I think they’re depending on the fringe to straighten it out, but yeah, it’ll probably curl. Put a few rows of seed stitch on the edges, perhaps.

It’s knit from corner to corner on the bias, it sounds like, so may not curl as bad as a standard edge to edge blanket. You might want to knit 3 sts on the beg and end of the purl rows. That’ll give a little garter to the edges.

Yeah, if you put a 3 stitch garter or seed stitch edge on it it probably won’t curl at all. Do the garter/seed before the increases.

i find ironing it under a damn cloth helps when my projects curl.

Gabbi, do you always curse at your cloths that way? :slight_smile:

:teehee: I saw that, too. We’re just teasing you, Gabbi. My fingers are always making typos! :doh:

I wonder if blocking like is done for lace would help to minimize the curling,

If I remember correctly, stockinette stitch that is worked on the diagonal (such as shawls or graduated neck edges) will not curl. It curls only when worked on a vertical or horizonal edge.

I tried a few inches of this pattern, just to see what it would do. The beg at the CO curls up a little, but the fringe would hold that down. The diagonal edges are not apt to curl as much as striaght edges do.