Why is picking the colors life or death?

i am knitting blocked; it takes me literally weeks or months even to pick colors for a project. i cant just pick them and live with it because what if they arent the PERFECT colors?? what if i find even more perfect colors after ive picked the first ones? this is beyond difficult for me. i can imagine so many possibilities but i have no idea which one will be perfect.

i want to make a bag but each group of colors has a negative. it wont match with absolutely everything or it might make a statement that im not trying to send or the colors might look ugly together or i never wear “autumns” so why am i so attracted to the cranberry and tan? UGHHHHHHH

is this a problem for other people, or am i the only color handicapped person out there?

Sometimes I have that problem, so I tend to go the opposite way and just pick a color while I’m standing in the store. I don’t want to stand there for the hours I’ll agonize over colors if I’m ordering yarn online, so I just reach for something and that’s the color I use.

I have cross stitched for nearly 20 years (wow!) and I’m the same way with floss. To this day I STILL have my mum, despite the fact that I’m in WA & she’s in TX, pick my colors for me when I start a custom project. I email her links to colors I think I want to use and then she picks out ones that actually go together and go with my house. lol

With knitting I’ve found that I tend to go with just one color that coordinates with my house or my jacket, or whatever. If I had to try and find TWO colors that went together with a 3rd I’d go nuts!!! In fact, so would my mum. :roflhard:

I use to be like that but I have learned that no matter how long I agonize over the yarn and color choices, I ALWAYS find another yarn or color combination later that I think I like better. So I have given up on the agonizing. I figure it is pointless.

well although i havent solved the bag colors crisis, i was laying with my toddler while he was going down for his nap and dreamed up the white stripes - de stijl inspired colors (black white and red) for the tubey. jack adn meg have inspired me. i might even try and do a couple blocks and lines on the sleeves. WOOHOO

i think the only real way to pick colors is to muse until inspired. i gotta try to quit forcing it! :smiley:

I’m like that with my scrapbooking. I’m a huge fan of color blocking and I found the use of a color wheel an absolute life saver. I take it with me still when picking my knitting yarns, too. It tells me exactly what colors will complement each other and which ones won’ t go together. :slight_smile:

I was agonizing over what I would pick for my quilt. But then I got to the yardage shop, picked out the fabric that ‘spoke’ to me and then pulled out bolts that seemed to go with it. I also had the shop owner helping because she has a good eye for color. I thought it would be impossible because I had to pick out 20 different, yet coordinating colors, but I managed to do it! I was actually rather proud of myself - I’m normally quite the agonizer.

My lys owner has a good eye for color too. I let her pick out my SP’s yarn based on what she wrote she wanted, and my SP loved it!

I do admit I need to be braver in some of my choices. I figure I’ll probably rarely wear bright colors or bold colorways, so I’ve started surrounding myself in color, either in knits (throws and purses, etc) or in fabric (quilts).

I forgot to add: you can get a color wheel at any good craft or art store. :slight_smile:

Have a best friend who’s an art teacher is REALLY helpful to me :slight_smile: When I don’t have her physically with my when choosing colors, I use this tool which is actually for quilters (hence the name)… I bought one for my fabric stash too. I’ve found that quilt books on color theory to be really helpful.

My mom used to be like that with her quilting. She’d pieced so many quilts in her lifetime, that she was burned out. She used to have my sisters and I lay out the pieces in color schemes that we liked, because she was tired of picking colors. Sewing them together was the easy part.