Why is Each Knit Stitch Making the Gap Bigger?

[FONT=“Comic Sans MS”][COLOR="#300090"]I’m just starting out; so I tried a simple CO beginning with a slip knot and a twisting loops onto the needle. When I knit the first stitch, I suddenly have a gap between the needles. Each added knit makes the gap longer. Eventually, I do end up with what is identical to the LT CO on my right needle. But I have a long strand between my last stitch and that slip knot I started with. :??

My first try was the LT CO but knitting into that also caused problems. Now I have frogged a second time and having a second try at LT CO. :roll:

Okay, now I get it. Amy’s video does have one short but very important phrase near the end. “Your next row will be purl stitch.” D’oh! :doh:

So now I know:

1. You [B]knit[/B] into a stitch where the loop (over the hook) is the neck and the previous row looks like the [B](“Vee” shape) of a scarf crossing in front of the neck, the loop[/B].
  2. [B]Purl[/B] into a stitch where the previous row crosses like the [B]scarf crossing the back of the neck[/B] (it just goes straight across like a ‘-’ dash).

– Jack :x: [/COLOR][/FONT]

Yeah, I understand that twisted loop cast on is hard to get a good result with. Have you tried one of the knitted on cast ons? One by that name and the other the cable cast on. They are pretty easy to do.

You’re getting it!

I just use that CO is I have to add a few stitches but not for a whole piece. I generally use the the slingshot type CO for most work.

Bambi

[FONT=“Comic Sans MS”][COLOR="#300090"]
Bambi, What is the slingshot CO?

MerigoldinWA, I think I saw a video here on KH for both the knitted on and the cable COs. I got the long tail cast on working, I just had to purl the next row and it was great.

Now, on to joining a new color…

I did a swatch in all knit for several rows then purl WS and knit RS for a few more rows. I got the stitches down and now can work on the fairisle stitches 1, 2, 3, and 4. They really do weave the non-working color well.

I also did a few left handed knit stitches. The hardest part of that was switching the yarn to my right hand and doing the YO or throw.

–Jack
[/COLOR][/FONT]

Jack, I think the slingshot thing is another name for the Long Tail cast on. Most people do it holding both yarns in one hand kind of forming a slingshot. I get the same result, but learned to do it with both hands holding yarns. Sometimes I think that is called the Thumb Method of doing the Long Tail. I can do it with one hand, but find it more comfortable to do it the other way.

I also did a few left handed knit stitches. The hardest part of that was switching the yarn to my right hand and doing the YO or throw.
Yeah, I knit Contienental (can knit English too, but don’t except for 2 color work), and when I learned (I have probably forgotten how again) to knit left handed I couldn’t do it without throwing, and I think I had to have the yarn in my right hand. Can’t remember, but it was kind of slow.

I agree with Bambi about the backward loop thing you were first talking about. It is a very useful thing. Sometimes when adding stitches in the middle of a project it is the best thing to do. I also like to use it as an increase, a M1, in some instances. I like it a lot.

Are you a fairly new knitter? It seems new knitters these days learn all sorts of things many of us old timers never even heard of before the internet came into play.

I just wanted to tell you I am totally using your “like a scarf” analogy when I am teaching the next person how to read stitches!

You’re definitely getting it- and congrats on the fair isle coming along nicely. I have yet to try that.

[FONT=“Comic Sans MS”][COLOR="#300090"]I just thought I’d let you all know that I started a WIP in the What 'cha Knitting forum for the NC State potholder.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

–Jack[/COLOR][/FONT]