Why does this happen and how to change?

Hi all.

I’m a super beginner who took up knitting for therapp after a medical setback.

I’m still early on, so please excuse this super basic question-but I keep getting this extra yarn at the beginning of my knits.

Why does this happen and is it undesirable/how to fix?

Thank you!

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
Is this on the row after the cast on? What cast on are you using?
There’s enough yarn to cut it about halfway along the loop and weave in the ends but it would be best to keep it from happening in the first place. There are several ways to do this. I use something similar to this one.

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been ill but hope things are getting better. Knitting is certainly good therapy, relaxing and a stress reliever.

Hi, thanks for this! Really helps.

So this is the first row after cast on. As to what type of cast on stitch…I’m not super good with terminology. I think it would be a called a knit-cast on stitch?

This is the video I follow; the cast on is at the 5:10 mark.

Aha, this is a thumb or finger loop cast on. It does get sts onto the needle but it’s not the best cast on if you need more than 2-3 sts. It has the deficit that it can create a long loop of yarn which gets longer the more sts you cast on.
Here’s a video for the knit cast on which is nice because it uses the knit stitch which you already know.

There’s also the similar cable cast on which give a neat edge.
See if these help in future. Your knitting looks very nice and even. Good going!

There are many videos online for these cast ons if the ones I’ve linked to aren’t clear or close enough.
1 Like

These are great-thank you. I was able to find a different cast on and it works perfectly (long-tail).

1 Like

Good one and fun to do!