Why does my knitting keep doing this?

PLEASE HELP!!!

After I cast on stitches and start knitting in garter stitch for a few rows, the bottom edge starts to curl. It looks like the cast on edge is narrower than the actual knitted part.

Is this normal? How can I fix it so that this curling stops? Do I need to cast on differently or will blocking take care of this?

This is my first project that someone will be wearing (eventually). I usually knit baby blankets. I’ve never had to check the gauge or block things before!!!

Thanks!!
knitcindy

Are you sure you’re doing garter stitch and not stockinette?? Stockinette is knit one row, purl one row, etc., garter stitch is knit every stitch of every row. Stockinette curls a lot. There’s really not a whole lot you can do about it. Blocking helps, and also if it’s an item that will be seamed, that will take care of the curling too.

If you are, in fact, knitting one row and purling one row to get stockinette, you can add a ribbing to the edge to prevent that.

If you’re working garter and the edge is smaller than the main part, you can try casting on with larger needles to make it less tight.

I am doing the garter stitch - knitting every row. I guess what I meant to say is that my cast on row always looks smaller than the rest of the knitting.

But I’ll try it with larger needles and see if that works.

Thanks again!!!
knitcindy

Do you cast on with long tail method? I prefer this method because it helps with the tension of the first few row of stitches. Also, you may want to try to cast on a little bit loose, but not too loose.