Why do blankets hate me so? LOL

[SIZE=5][SIZE=4]My God-Sister is having her first baby and the shower is next month (its a boy!!!)

So I find the pattern I like and I’m stuck because I don’t understand the instructions (in red) can anyone tell me what that means to knit in bar???

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]With 1 strand of worsted weight yarn and one strand of sport weight yarn, cast on 96 sts[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Bottom edge: Work garter stitch (knit every row) for 7 rows[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Bottom Border:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Row 8: (RS): Knit[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Row 9: K5, purl to last 5 sts, k5[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Row 10: k5, k2tog across row to last 5 sts, k5[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Row 11: k5, *[COLOR=#ff0000][B]k in bar before next st[/B][/COLOR], k1, repeat from * to last 5 sts, k5
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Here is a link for the entire instructions and also a picture of the blanket http://www.gallentine.org/Knitting/brookafghan.html[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]Thanks,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]Madrina[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

It’s an increase where you pick up the bar between stitches, twist it, and knit into it. I think there are videos here and a sampler showing you the different kinds of increases.

Ugh… that sounds difficult but I’ll give it a try … Thanks!

Madrina

It really isn’t too difficult. look at video ‘rewitch’ refered to, under Decorative Increase.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php
I don’t think you will need to twist it though, this will create a small hole, but in this case that is what you want to do, to create the lacey border.

you just want to insert the right needle into the yarn between the stitch that you just worked and the stitch that you are about to work and knit it, you dont want to twist it, this is basically a “yarn over” and it is supposed to make a hole in your work, if they wanted you to twist the stitch then the instructions would include “M1” (make one)

Thanks so much I finally figured it out with your tips and suggestions and its going along well now! And you were right it was very easy :yay:

Madrina