Who enjoys doing tension squares

Reading some of your questions makes me feel a real novice as I am unable to assist with an answer to your Knitting problems.

I have a next project lined up, a classique cotton Dk stylecraft cardigan using cotton dk

I find it difficult to understand the tension squares to aid me in the future to get these correct and understand them better.
How big does each tension square need to be? bigger than 4inches/10cm so I can measure the square to 4inches?

The tension square for this cardigan pattern is 22sts and 28 rows to 10cm,4inches over stocking stitch pattern on 4mm needles or size required. 20sts and 30 rows to 10cm, 4 inches over pattern on 4 mm needles or size required to give the correct tension. Is this instructing me to do two tension test one in stocking stitch and one in pattern stitch. (the pattern stitch is k3 k2tog yfwd k1 sl k1 psso k7 rep to last 8 k2tog yfwd, k1, yfwd sl k1 psso k3) As the cardigan has these two in the design.

Thank you in advance:p

I don’t know if “enjoy” is the right word, but I do appreciate that a good-sized tension square is going to save me time and frustration later on.
You certainly should do the tension square in the pattern stitch with enough sts to give you at least the two repeats (30sts according to the line you’ve quoted). Yes, doing a square in stockinette is probably a good idea too, depending on how the pattern stitch and stockinette are distributed in the sweater.
You’re correct that you need to knit more than the stitch number given for the tension so that you’ll be able to measure over the middle 4 inches.
There a nice discussion of gauge here at the Free Videos tab under getting started.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit
What is the name of the pattern, just so we can see a photo to get an idea of the stitches?

Thank you for your advice,
the pattern is ‘Stylecraft a classique cotton dk cardigan’. code9131
I have looked at the video this looks helpful I could follow this once I have done my pattern and stocking stitch swatch. The stocking stitch is a repeat over 7 stitches then goes back into pattern.
It would be great if you had an idea of the stitches on the pattern.

Thank you for your help

http://www.deramores.com/cardigans-in-stylecraft-classique-cotton-dk-9131

To add a link you just need to copy/paste it in the box.

I can’t see what the pattern stitches look like.

Very pretty. Yes, a little difficult to see the proportion of pattern stitch to stockinette but if you get gauge with the pattern stitch you should be fine. I’d still continue the swatch in stockinette just to check the tension there and see that’s it’s at least close.

Thank you for copying/paste the pattern I’m doing it in long sleeve if you click on the green image you can see the detail a little better

Salmonmac, thank you for your advice I have just finished the pattern swatch and will start the stocking stitch. It is late in the Uk now and I will soon be off to my bed.

If I hit any problems tomorrow I will let you know.
I think it is pretty too! hopefully I will have it finished before I go on my summer holidays I’ll wear it with my dresses.

That’s a big help. Go with the tension on stockinette since that takes up most of the pattern.

:waving: Hi, Knitter 5 - I thought you must be in the UK because you asked about tension squares - I’m a UK member too and sometimes have to translate!

After horrible mistakes in the distant past, I’ve always done tension squares, which was a godsend with the last sweater I knitted. I now have quite a collection and realise that they hold excellent records of past projects. I’m thinking of using crochet to make them into a memory quilt - when I get the time!

Hi Gramercy,
yes I’m in the UK Scotland on the West coast. Moved here from the Lake District due to my husbands work 11yrs ago lovey house however some people are not friendly and I keep myself to myself.

Yes, people use different terms for knitting and it is sweet that we all sort of understand each other.

I think crochet your gauges or swatches together is a wonderful idea. I love quilting too.

Oh, the West Coast is lovely, isn’t it, though maybe not right at the moment! Hope you are warm and dry!! My daughter married an Aberdonian and lives there so we visit the East side more.

I hope you’ve made some friends - we’ve never encountered any problems though daughter used to pretend to be Swedish when there was an England/Scotland match on. She now has two braw wee sons, so that gives her more local colour :wink:

That’s a great pattern - hope it gets warm and dry enough to wear it soon! We were baking hot when we visited Inverewe in September a few years back.

Yes very lovely here, I’m up in the countryside at the back of our (Victorian) house is forestry lots of lovely wildlife views from the bay windows at the front are the sea loch and mountains as we are the highest house we see the other houses roofs only, no street lights, no main roads so very quiet but very wet.
Aberdeen lovely too very rich and have a multi cultural and very friendly.
We go to the south of France every year for a holiday so I will wear my cardigan then as we have more chance of having lots of sun and ideal to wear if a little breezy.

I did my pattern tension square, good news stitches were spot on but, rows should have 30 but only had 28. Just started the stocking square so I’ll let you know how I get on.
Have you been knitting long?
Tomorrow I’m doing some dressmaking I want to make two blouses to wear while we are away in the Lake District for 5 days from Sunday next seeing friends. I never get tired of the country side there.

Yes very lovely here, I’m up in the countryside at the back of our (Victorian) house is forestry lots of lovely wildlife views from the bay windows at the front are the sea loch and mountains as we are the highest house we see the other houses roofs only, no street lights, no main roads so very quiet but very wet.
Aberdeen lovely too very rich and have a multi cultural and very friendly.
We go to the south of France every year for a holiday so I will wear my cardigan then as we have more chance of having lots of sun and ideal to wear if a little breezy.

I did my pattern tension square, good news stitches were spot on but, rows should have 30 but only had 28. Just started the stocking square so I’ll let you know how I get on.
Have you been knitting long?
Tomorrow I’m doing some dressmaking I want to make two blouses to wear while we are away in the Lake District for 5 days from Sunday next seeing friends. I never get tired of the country side there.

It all sounds so beautiful! I’m in awe of your sewing ability. What a great combination with knitting.
Don’t worry too much about the row gauge. It’s often not spot on but if the stitch gauge is good you should be fine. Many patterns measure length in inches or cm rather than row anyway. Raglan tops are an exception but you can usually get them to work too.

Multi skilling! I like it. Are you watching the Great British Sewing Bee?

Hi Salmonmac,
I have done both gauges now, rows are a little out, however both stitches are spot on.

Thank you for all your advice.

I’m always grateful everyday for the beauty that surrounds me daily with house and views and wildlife that pays a visit.

I have always loved sewing and being creative I love quilting and made many quilts I also make old fashion raggy dolls and old fashion Santa’s I make them at Christmas for people, who then raffle them off and the money then goes to animal and wildlife charities.
shelters for retired greyhounds I made the dogs their coats as a gift so they would not feel the cold in winter as those type of dogs do feel the cold. They still have my number so they know where I am if they need any more.
I do cross stitch too but mainly in the summer months as you have much better light.

My best friend has asked me to make a wedding quilt for her sons wedding in 2016 which I will start in June.

I will have a go at anything creative and never give up until I have master it

Thanks again

Yes, it is on tonight very impressed with the gentlemen this year

Sorry late in answering internet has been down most of the day:)

They have been good, haven’t they! I won’t make any comment until I know you’ve seen the outcome though!

Yes, I’m pleased that Matt won because he has only been dressmaking for just two years he improved each week so I wonder what he will be like in 5 years.
Lorna and Neil had a lifetime of experience and produced some lovely sewing and garments from day one.

The cardigan which I’m knitting knits up quite quick unless I’m getting faster ha!ha!

What are you knitting at the moment?

Yes, we were pleased for Matt, too. Poor Neil just went to pieces - nerves maybe? But I see he’d hoping to make dresses for the Military Wives Choir so that should make up for it!

I’m having a little treat at the mo’ in between the challenging sweater I did for my granddaughter and a shawl neck cardigan for myself I wish I’d never started, I’m doing a tiny jacket for the prem baby knit competition we have in the Horticultural Society spring show http://www.deramores.com/cardigans-in-sirdar-snuggly-4-ply-1373

Very soothing!:star: