Which new technique should I try? >>

Intarsia, Fair Isle, stranded…?

I really want to add color to my knitting. Would love to hear from you and if you have any resource recs, so much the better. :slight_smile:

Any input appreciated, esp. from you veteran knitters!

Thanks!

Definitely give Fair Isle a try.

Hi,
Might I suggest double or reversible knitting if you wish to add color to your knitting. You are usually working with two colors; however, you only use one color for two rows. Also, it makes a nice thick fabric with no wrong sides. Knitty.com has a double knit hat pattern in their Fall '02 issue. Also, check out these websites (http://www.fuzzygalore.biz/patterns/esther.shtml) and (http://www.cs.oswego.edu/~ebozak/knit/esb-patterns/scarves-part2.html) for scarf pattern inspiration. Amy also shows the double knitting technique in the advance techniques section under “View Videos.”

Intarsia may be nice to try since you are working in spots or areas of color, but be aware of the need for bobbins.

By the by Fair Isle knitting is a particular strain of stranded knitting, where usually up to five colors are used and alternated with within the project.
Good luck in your color adventures.
Katrina

I would suggest stranded knitting of some kind as a good beginning place. You should look for a pattern that only uses 2 colors in a row (rarely more is used and wildly, many), and that changes colors a lot. A pattern that never goes over 5 stitches without changing colors. Some folks seem to think they need to catch in if going more than 3 or 4, but Elizabeth Zimmermann says 5 and that’s good enough for me. :slight_smile: These patterns that change a lot often look very complex, but they are the easiest. Got to love that.

The double knitting may not be all that hard for a person with a quick mind to get (I’m thinking a young person whose brain pathways are not set in cement), but it was tricky for me to adapt to. :slight_smile:

appreciate the input! :slight_smile:

And always willing to listen to more! :muah: