Which is best?

Hi, I am a newbie to this site and also to knitting sweaters. I just started my very first. Basically, I have taught myself to knit by remembering what I was taught by my grandmother many, many many years ago and by watching that knitting program on DIY network. But I have come to a part in the instructions where it is asking me to decrease on each end (which I get) but which of the many decreases is best? I typed decreasing stitches in the search engine and there are about 6-8 different ways. So I am confused. Also I just heard that unless it says differently in the pattern, you should always slip a stitch as if you were purling.
OBTW, I knit throw. Could someone please help?

Hi, and welcome. You can go to the Increase section on this site - http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php - and see videos of different types. Slipping a stitch as if you were purling holds true if it’s at the beginning of the row or just to move one from one needle to another. However, if you’re slipping to make a decrease (slip 1, knit 1, pass slip stitch over, SKP, or SSK, slip 2 sts then knit together) you slip them knitwise or they’ll be twisted.

Thanks! that was helpful:knitting: