Where to start?

I want to knit something like this and I’m going to try to wing it because I can’t find a pattern. I’ve done a bit of improvisation and freeform knitting so I think it’s do-able. But I’d like some advice about needle size and type of yarn. I’m thinking about a size 15 needle or maybe larger? The yarn needs to be drapey and soft. I don’t want to use bulky. I’ve thought a double strand of lace weight but really don’t have any ideas beyond that. Maybe a wool and silk blend? Any of y’all ever make anything like this? Thanks!image

1 Like

It will probably take some swatching with different yarns and needles. Here are some ideas from Ravelry for loosely knit items to give you a place to start. See also the yarn ideas from various projects (tab at the top of the page).

I’ve used Berocco Maya (cotton alpaca) for a cardigan and loved it. The colors are limited however. Do you want a gradient yarn?

Also, check out the following book:

Viva Poncho
By Christina Stork

This book has all kinds of drapey and swingy ponchos. Even if u want to design your own, at least this book can give u some inspiration!!!

Knitcindy

1 Like

Ribbon yarn gives very good results with oversized needles.

1 Like

I made a shell quite similar to this. I used Noro sock yarn. I got the pattern from"Great Balls of wool"… They have a web page and the pattern was called “Chantal”… I’m amazed how similar my shawl and the shawl that you have pictured are

1 Like

You know I think swatching is the way to go, it’s the only way to be sure. And thanks for the references, I’ll check them out.

I have some ribbon yarn I’ve never used. It would make a good experiment. Thanks

I just found that book at the library and put it on hold. Thanks!

1 Like

Ok, I’ll check it out, thanks!

Let me know how u like it!!!

Knitcindy