Where did the YOs go?

I’m a little embarrassed to ask this, but I can’t quite wrap my brain around it right now.

I knit myself a slouchy beret in pink Cascade 220 with no real pattern, but based off Elann’s Pinwheel Sweater design – you know, where you CO 8 stitches, KFB on the first round, and then do k2, YO; knit one round even; k3, YO, etc. The hat came out great! I showed it to my mom and she asked me to make her one in white yarn (I’m using a white cashmere blend).

So now I’m a good way into this second hat, and I decided to count the little spirals created by the yarnovers. There are 7 – but the first hat I made has 8!

I swear that I did the second hat exactly the same as the first! Well, clearly I did something different, but I can’t figure out what. Am I crazy or just temporarily stupid?

I’m guessing this second hat will be a little less slouchy than the first but hopefully won’t be too different. I don’t really want to go back and start it all over again, but I just can’t figure out what I did differently – help?

It’s possible that you forgot an increase right at the beginning, but it shouldn’t make a difference. You can do an extra couple increase rows and it should turn out just fine.

Yeah, I believe you’re right. Looking at it closely, I can see where the line of YOs should have been – one section is definitely wider than the others.

Now if I can just force myself to ignore that little bit of asymmetry and keep going :shock: I’m sure the hat will be fine . . .