What's this abbreviation?

I’m knitting my first pair of mittens. HOORAY!!! :cheering: I’m on my 7th round and I don’t know what this abbreviation means! It says, “K1, P1, increase s st in next st.” Anyone know what the “s” means? :thinking: Can’t wait to get back to knitting them! Any help is sooooo appreciated! Thanks.

Maybe stockinette?

My guess would be that it’s single or stockinette. The stockinette doesn’t seem to make sense since you are in the middle of ribbing. The pattern doesn’t specify what type of increases to use?

Thanks, Ingrid and Nicole, for the replies! So do you think it means to just increase by knitting in front and back? That’s the way I made increases in the 4th round. That part of the pattern reads:

[color=red]To Make Thumb Gusset: K1, P1, K3, P1, Knit to end of round. Repeat 1st round twice.

4th Round: K1, P1, increase 2 st in each of next 2 sts, K1, P1. Knit to end of round.

**5th and 6th Rounds: Knit all knit sts and purl all purl sts as they appear in previous round.

7th Round: K1, P1, increase s st in next st. Knit to 2 sts before the purled st. Increase 2 sts in next st. K1, P1, Knit to end of round. **

Repeat from ** until there are 13 sts between the 2 purled sts. 50 sts in round. Repeat 5th and 6th rounds once.[/color]

The pattern continues from here, but it’s that 7th round I’m having trouble with…

Thanks again!

Single stitch? It’s hard to say exactly, but I think if you knit into the front and back, that would be fine. That’s what I would do, anyway, if that matters.

It probably means single. I did some mental math and it works out. You start out with 3 knits between the purls, you then increase 4 sts, then you’d increase by 3 stitches twice. That gives me 13, so I think you’ve got it licked! :smiley:

OK…now one more question! :blush: On the 4th round, where it says to “increase 2 st in each of next 2 sts” should I add 1 stitch or 2 in each stitch? I added 2 in each and have 5 stitches between the purls in the 4th round. :?? By the way, all this is after I have completed the ribbing for the cuff… : )

I’d say add two stitches in each of the next two stitches.

:cheering: :happydance: Just thought I’d let y’all know I successfully completed my first mitten!!! :happydance: :cheering: You were all correct in assuming the “s” meant to increase a single stitch! THANKS for your help!!! Happy knitting… :lol: :XX:

YAY FOR YOU!!! :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

I have two pairs of mittens waiting for their thumbs… once my hands stop cramping today I want to finish them.

:cheering: :cheering:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Here’s a couple of thumbs for you, Nicole!

:lol: Thanks Ingrid! And thanks from my girls too. It means they can go out and enjoy our very mild weather without having to wait until Mommy’s hands are good enough to knit again!