Whats the difference

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a skein a ball and a hank?

“Skein” and “ball” are often used interchangeably. A “hank,” however, is rarely wound into a useful…sorry…ball of yarn.

Hanks are one reason knitters/crocheters purchase yarn ball winders or have the shop wind balls for them, if that service is offered.

If you’re looking at a pattern which calls for X skeins/balls of yarn, and you don’t have that exact yarn available, look at the total number of YARDS of yarn needed. That’s where the heart of the matter lies. :slight_smile:


The pattern that Im looking at calls for 5 hanks, at 100g (82yds) each

A hank is also called a skein so they all mean the same thing, they’re just shaped differently. A skein is a big loop of yarn that needs to be wound in a ball. If you’re going to substitute, use the yardage of a similar type of yarn. It sounds like a super bulky and you’ll need about 410 yds total.

They are used interchangeably, but I think this is what people often think of when the terms are mentioned. Yardage is what counts though when getting enough yarn for a pattern.