What the heck do I do now?

:??
Hi, I’m working on a little jacket for a knitted bunny that I just completed. This is where I’m a bit stumped:
Row 14: Knit across to 2nd marker, M1,turn.
How do I turn? Do I have to use another piece of yarn to throw over when I continue on the “turned” side?
I interpret it this way:
Turn the piece around, so now I have the other side in front of me. However, when I do that the yarn strand attached to the skein (I don’t know the official name of that) will be on the left side of the piece. So, do I start with a new strand that you work with in your right hand? So in essence I will have 2 “skeins” going at the same time??? And I assume that I would be working with 3 needles at that point…Thanks to all who help me out and take the time to respond! :muah:

You’re halfway right.

When the directions say to turn, you turn the work around and work back in the other direction. No new yarn. It’s as if you pretend that you’ve come to the end of the row and you turn to work the other direction. The stiches that were on your left needle are now on your right, and they remain unworked for now.

Sometimes the directions will say “wrap and turn.” The wrap helps stop a little hole that can develop when you just turn. But this might not be a problem with your particular project.

Take a look at the video for on the advanced techniques page: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/. Scroll down to “Short Row with Wrap.” Again, you might be able to skip the wrapping part, but it might make clearer what turning in the middle of a row is all about.

Thanks for your response. That is the part I don’t understand…I turned it around,but the working strand is on my left needle! Does that make sense? I pulled out the entire jacket, that was almost finished since I was very stubborn and maybe overtired… :wall:

Yes, the working yarn will be on your left needle – then you start knitting. That’s why it can leave a hole if you don’t wrap the stitch.

It’s one of those things that you can think yourself into a knot over, but it’s really very simple. When you turn, you just start knitting as you would if you were at the end of the row. Think about it: when you turn your knitting at the end of the row, the yarn is also coming from your left needle. Think of yourself as starting a new row – that’s essentially what you’re doing. That’s why they call them “short rows.”

Here’s what I suggest: do a small swatch, as you would for testing gauge. After you’ve knitted a few rows, try knitting to within four stitches of the end, leaving those stitches unknitted, and turning the fabric around. Then start knitting (or purling, depending on your stitch pattern) in the new direction, leaving those four stitches alone. You’ll see how this works after a while.

:muah: Thank you, the response made a lot of sense and the suggestion of doing a small sample is a good one. I’m making a small jacket for a bunny that I just finished. It is all one piece. When I’m finished I will sew the underarms, etc. I know what you mean about the hole. So, I will have to figure out that wrapping part. I tore the whole thing out and will start over again. Which is really a shame, since it was only the last few rows that I messed up. And actually I was pretty much on target, but was a bit unsure…so I kind of messed it up. I tried to just rip out the mistakes, but it was useless…I dropped stitches and more or less just screwed it all up…So, I said forget about it! I’ll just start all over again… :verysad: But, hey, this is suppose to be relaxing and fun!! LOL Thank you again for your very helpful and kind response! Sincerely, Linda

When you turn, slip the first stitch instead of knit or purl. That will help make less of a hole when you pick up the stitches left behind.

sue