What stitch is this?

I have a question on a knit sweater. I saw a picture recently and I know it’s a knitted sweater because I can see the knit stitch. It looks like an open airy waffle weave, does anyone have a clue what it might be?.

I see k1 p1 but it must be on a very large needle.

I am going to look at broomstick lace and fisherman rib to compare.

Be back in a bit

1 Like

So definitely not broomstick.
But I was thinking large needles still.
The closest I’ve come is fisherman rob on size 11 (8mm) needles.
Still lacks that horizontal line/ ridge at each row. I’ll try again later today.

Or you could have the fun experimenting yourself.

1 Like

The resolution is so poor in the pic it’s hard for me to see the detail. It looks to me like there might be some sts that are knit together with the one below or something, but otherwise I thought it looks a little bit like this “English rib,” though on much larger needles:

Thank you. That actually makes sense. I didnt think of it being larger needles. I haven’t knit in quite some time and just know am picking it back up.

I was so close! I can’t figure out what kind of weird yo was used, looks like they are partially covered. That was a really fun challenge though, and I learned a very tidy dec3 in the process!
In case anyone was interested in that dec 3 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is close. I was thinking they alternated between large needles on odd rows and smaller needles on even rows.

I still have to review brioche before I can eliminate it. Unless someone else is familiar with it and can speak to such a possibility.

1 Like

This is a variation of the thermal stitch, what I call it anyway. It looks like the waffle pattern on long underwear. I’m doing it for some mittens now. I experimented with this. The picture was intriguing. Mine is done in multiples of 4. This is done in multiples of 3 plus one. Knit one row across. Row 2: p1, k2 across. Repeat these two rows for the pattern. You could probably use any basic stockinette stitch Plain sweater pattern. Just cast on the nearest multiple of 3 and add one stitch to the count.
Mine is a multiple of 4. Knit one row. Purl one row. K2 p2 for two rows. Repeat the pattern. I like to do this for hats. I use a 4.5 mm size 7 needle. Cast on 96 stitches. (Multiple of 4). It creates warm air pockets. It is especially nice with wool yarn. My favorite for this is Brown Sheep wool yarn.

1 Like

Thank you, I cant wait to try that out! I appreciate your help and input :slight_smile: