What size length dbl pt needles do I use?

I have bought several pairs in sizes 6 and 8 to make a hat using these needles. I am now realizing that my needles are too short to make a hat. What length would I buy to make a hat (cap)?

I’ve always used the standard size dpn’s (I think they’re 7 inches long? I never measured them…) to make hats. When starting at the brim sometimes I have to squish the stitches together so they don’t fall off the ends, but otherwise I haven’t had any problems.

Oh, I should mention that I use 5 needles rather than 4. I think it makes things a bit easier, since you don’t need to cram as many stitches onto each needle, and also since your needles are making a square rather than a triangle, they are easier to manipulate.

Depending on how many sts for a hat, you may need to buy circulars instead and that way you won’t have to worry about sts falling off.

I AM A BEGINNER, BUT I HAVE READ ALOT OF “HELP” WITH THE SAME ISSUES…NO ONE EVER SAID I COULD USE MORE THAN 3 NEEDLES…THIS IS GENIUS. ALSO, I AM USING SIZE 8 INSTEAD OF 7’S…ALL GOOD…I REALLY CAN DO THIS (I HOPE)
WORRIED ABOUT IF I DROP A STITCH THOUGH…
THAT’S WHY I THINK I SHOULD GET LONGER NEEDLES??
I AM TRYING TO MAKE THE ROLLED RIM CHEMO CAP
APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE!!!
THANKS

You can use as many needles as you need to keep the sts from dropping off. If that means getting 2 sets of 4, you can put the sts on 6 or 7 needles and one to knit with.