What part of "knit" is "knit into"?

OK - maybe my subject line doesn’t make sense. I have a pattern that tells me to “knit into” 2nd st on LH needle, “knit into” 1st on LH needle, sl both sts to RH needle. It has always seemed that “knit into” is the act of placing your needle into the stitch. But if I do that with the above instruction, all I end up doing is slipping stitches to the RH needle. So how far do I go on a knit stitch to accomplish a “into”

:?? My question is clear as mud, right? Thanks for any help!

I’m a newbie to the forum and a knitter for 3 months with a vest, felted clogs, felted purse and two scarfs done!!! (Don’t ask about what I have started and, even worse, what I have the yarn for!)

Kim

Okay, this sounds like a baby cable rib. So what you do is this:

1. Stick your needle in the second stitch as to knit.
  2. Wrap the yarn around the right-hand needle.
  3. Pull this loop to the front, like you’re knitting it, BUT:
  4. DO NOT pull the old stitch off the needle. Instead:
  5. Knit the first stitch as normal, then pull both old stitches off the left-hand needle.

Hope that helps!

I would assume you’d knit into the front leg of each stitch like normal, wrapping the yarn around and taking the right hand needle back through.

I’m sorry, but I don’t have a swatch or something handy or I’d try it and see what happens. What is the pattern trying to have you do? Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in! At least my reply will bump the thread back up. :shrug:

ETA: Yea! Someone with a better idea was posting at the same time!

That’s right. You’re knitting the stitches out of order to do a right twist. The second stitch will cross in front of the first one. It’s like doing a tiny cable.

A left twist has you knit the second stitch through the back loop and the first stitch crosses in front of the second one.

Thank you…thank you…thank you…

This forum is wonderful. The stitch makes perfect sense and I now am ready to work on the perfect car project for Labor Day weekend travel.