what is this knitting technique called??

I have only been knitting for about a month, and I have a pattern for a beanie which goes:

  1. knit across
  2. *k1 ,p slip 1; repeat from *; k last 2
  3. knit across
  4. k2, *k1, p slip 1; repeat from *

repeat 1-4 to desired length

What is this stitch pattern called,? I’ve tried Googling, but I haven’t found an answer.

1 Like

I’m not sure it’s a technique exactly. Different countries and designers sometimes use different terms for things as well. What is the pattern name and can you post a link?

1 Like

I agree with Jan_in_CA it could just be a pattern that thr original knitter came up with.

1 Like

The pattern is called Skippers Watch.

I’ve seen the resulting look on other pieces, so I thought it may be a common enough pattern to have a name.

I am having trouble with it. I accidentally added a stitch and didn’t notice until it was too late, so I unraveled a few rows and got my needle back in. I am sure I have the count right, and the yarn is facing the right way on the needle, but it keeps reversing the pattern (the rs and ws reverse, noticeably). I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong, and I don’t know how to describe it in a way I can Google a tutorial for correcting it. I thought maybe knowing the name of the stitch would help me figure it out.

It’s a slip stitch pattern. It’s a little easier to see in some of the Ravelry projects, Check which row you’ve got on the needles, a slip stitch row or a knit row and then make sure you’re slipping with yarn in front or in back, whichever the pattern calls for.


Thanks for your help! I appreciate it. I need to sit down with the piece tonight and check my stitches.

Ha! Was just going to say this and post the Ravelry link. :slight_smile:

I wonder if your extra stitch isn’t going from K2 P2 mode into slip purlwise mode and getting a yarn over in there.