What is the Rt needle held under arm knitting method?

Hi,
Years ago (on a tram) I saw a woman knitting very fast - the right hand needle being held still and stiffly under her right arm. Can anyone tell me what method of knitting this is and/or how it is done please?
Jenifer

I am not too sure but I think that some left handed knitters do it this way. They tuck the rt needle under their arm and let the left hand do most of the work. I am left handed and that seems awkward to me…but I suppose it works for some people.

Historically, it’s been the method of knitting used by the people in the Shetlands in order so quickly produce Fair Isle sweaters for export and sale.

When I first started knitting, I used the longer straight needles and it was more comfortable for me to tuck the right needle under my arm. I am also left handed. Then I bought the Denise interchangeables and I find it much easier to use the circulars to knit flat as well as in the round.

I need to find a pic of that method…I just cant picture it! Im imagining all KINDS of contortions!

I was able to knit really fast just moving the left needle - with the base of the right needle tucked into the fold between my torso and my right thigh. however, it made my back hurt because I was subconsciously (is that the right word? “unintentionally” maybe?) turning to my right.

Voila, pictures! Bad ones, but pictures nonetheless!
You can see that I like to steady the right hand needle with my hand, but all the movement is done by the lefthand needle.

The original Sheland knitters used llong dpns–5 or more for knitting the sweaters in the round. The working needle was held stationary, however. It was jabbed into a straw-filled pouch in their lap while the stitches were knit onto it.

The original Sheland knitters used llong dpns–5 or more for knitting the sweaters in the round. The working needle was held stationary, however. It was jabbed into a straw-filled pouch in their lap while the stitches were knit onto it.[/quote]
Well. See, don’t listen to me. lol.

wow that is new to me :thinking: so if I am understanding this right. you just keep the needle under your arm. with out moving it ?

Jenifer

Yup yup.

I taught a leftie how to knit and even though she knits right handed, her knitting has evolved to holding the right needle still and doing all the work with her left hand.

I know in Stitch N’ Bitch she talks about stuffing the needle under her arm. I had tried it, although I stuck the needle under my left arm. Perhaps because I am a continental knitter? At any rate, I found it uncomfortable.

OMG that looks like the most UNcomfortable position in the universe!! :shock:

Thanks for taking those pic, Aidan!! :heart:

Actually, if you’re in a cramped space it’s rather more comfortable than trying to knit normally. I tried it behind my desks at school when I had those longer needles and it worked rather well.