What is the name of this stitch?

Is it seed stitch?
The pattern says Knit 1 purl 1 all the way across, then knit the next row then do the same thing all the way down. Wait…am I even reading this right?? Now that I look at it again, I am not sure what the “*”'s are about.

http://www.frugalhaus.com/homepage/downloads/NP12.pdf

It’s a broken rib–k,p on one round, knit around the next.

The * are just to show you to repeat both the k,p around. They are a bit superfluous in this pattern, though.:think:

Oh ok great, thanks so much!!

Knitting is facinating.

small (a single stitch) difference can translate into HUGE differences.

K1, P1

vVvVvVvVvV (K=V, P=v)–and even number of stitches.

turn the work and the first stitch in the row is a K (it was a purl but the back of a purl is a knit.

so
[COLOR=“red”]v[/COLOR]vVvVvVvV
becomes
VvVvVvVvVv[COLOR=“red”]V[/COLOR]

if you K1, P1, -(every row) you’ll get 1 X 1 ribbing

but if you start out with an ODD number
[COLOR=“red”]V[/COLOR]vVvVvVvVvV–the last stitch is a [B]Knit[/B]
turn the work and it becomes a purl

vVvVvVvVvV[COLOR=“red”][B]v[/B][/COLOR]

now if you K1, P1, you get seed (aka moss stitch)

Even number of stitch, knit flat
VvVvVvVvVvVv
VvVvVvVvVvVv
VvVvVvVvVvVv
VvVvVvVvVvVv
VvVvVvVvVvVv–ribbing

but 1 extra stitch
VvVvVvVvVvVv
vVvVvVvVvVvV
VvVvVvVvVvVv
vVvVvVvVvVvV
VvVvVvVvVvVv
VvVvVvVvVvVv seed or moss

the * are to indicate repeats.

*k1, P1 * K1 means K1, P1 across row, (till you run out of stitches. the extra K1 is there because with an ODD number of stitches, at the end of the row you’ll have 1 extra stitch --not enough to do a pair (k1, p1)

Hi Troy- thanks for the info! although looking at the little v diagram there, I can’t see a difference between the seed and ribbing stitches.

Also- does broken rib have to be an odd number of stitches? Because the pattern calls for 82 stitches.
http://www.frugalhaus.com/homepage/downloads/NP12.pdf

Broken rib can be done on an odd or even number of stitches. You only do the rib stitch on one row, then knit the next row.

Troy’s seed st diagram was right, if you look close, you see a knit st V over a purl st v, but it’s hard to see the difference. Another way to show it is to use n for purls…

VnVnVnVnVnVn
nVnVnVnVnVnV
VnVnVnVnVnVn

But your pattern won’t quite look like that, it’ll be more like -

nVnVnVnVnVnV
nnnnnnnnnnnnn
nVnVnVnVnVnV