What is the Most Important Technique/Lesson You have Learned?

I’ll never forget how exciting it was to discover that I could knit CABLES!!! And how beautiful they looked!!!

Also, it took me a loooong time to figure out how to do the purl stitch in continental. Figuring that out was a huge breakthrough for me!!!

Knitcindy

I wanted to learn to knit so I could make socks. I was relieved to learn continental knitting since I have crocheted for years and holding the working yarn in my left hand is more than a habit. I gave up on socks after I figured out what a pain dpns are. When I finally took the dive and learned magic loop, that changed everything. I gave my dpns away and haven’t missed them a bit, so definitely magic loop is the most important technique I have learned.

Learning to use DPNs after the hundredth attempt!

Yes. Magic loop; beats DPNs every time. And so simple!

Saw a gal take her “unthreaded” yarn needle and insert it parallel to her yarn tail (tail next to the eye)…then thread the needle. Huh? Then…thread the needle!!

She had but a small tail to weave in. I was amazed; seriously. Some needles are ‘long’ and some are ‘short’,some tails are the same…problem solving gal, eh? I usually use a crochet hook, but she didn’t have one on hand…

I do this, too!

@Shintoga - so do I!

Hi engblom!

I knit using a kind of continental combined method also. When I learned to knit yarn in left hand I really liked doing knits and felt like it was quite efficient and comfortable. But I could never quite find a way to purl that felt right, till I learned about “combined” style. I actually prefer working knits with a western oriented loops, but purling is so much easier for me eastern style I still find it almost always pays off to work my purls that way even if I have to work around having stitches oriented differently in the next row.

My knitting journey has been so filled with fun “aha!” learning moments its hard to pick just one. maybe three:

1 Recently, Learning the twisted German/ old Norwegian cast on (so much nicer, I think than the typical longtail CO!)

2 learning to “load stitches” (push up a bunch at once and hold in place with little fingers) on the lefthand needle so that I can knit faster

3 and ok, yes, fine, I guess I’d have to add learning about the continental combined knitting method :slight_smile:

Cheers!

** Hi, thanks for the reply…was wondering if I worded it
correctly!**

Happy knitting/crocheting!

Donna

I know I’m late to the discussion, but, the most important thing I’ve learned, is being able to read my knitting! It helps when starting a new row, or tinking back🙄

I agree this is important. Some parts of it is still a bit difficult for me to do. For example to recognize exactly on which row I did a decrease when I want to do the other sock in a pair.

Although I’ve not made a pair of socks yet, the slippers, or any other I have made 2 of, I use a row counter, and take notes on my pattern. I am not confident enough at deciphering what row to be sure I am correct!

I do the combined continental, too…so smooth…and calming…compared to crocheting any stitch…I’m working on that, too. So, I use plain continental when doing lace patterns…having non-twisted stitches is most helpful for lace…it’s that Russian purl through the front that seems to twist my stitches.

Happy knitting/crocheting and ‘spring’!

I had trouble with the switch from E to C knitting, even CC and found if I used a ‘piano teaching technique’ that it helped me change the brain waves and hand/eye habits. ‘Repeat it five (5) times’. Seriously…if you try once or twice and bail out, you will probably convince yourself you can’t do it.

So, set up your knitting dedicated to just learning the technique you desire…pick it up daily and work five (5) repeats…or more if you desire…

I found one day as I picked up and started the teaching technique, not matter what it was, I automatically set it up…I had changed my brain, hands and eyes…such as the way the working yarn was held, in which hand as well…even how to tension the yarn.

Now, don’t mix the styles in one project…until you are retrained/trained…I found the differences in tensions are very apparent early on and will show up particularly in stockinette…then, when you do mix (English/Continental/Combined/ETC., them, check for differences in tension; redo as required.

Happy knitting/crocheting!

Great points!

If I hadn’t stuck with it for a while I never would have become a yarn-in-left-hand knitter (ie “continental”). When I first tried it out it felt like the most cumbersome, awkward, weird, unnatural thing in the world. Fortunately though i was intrigued enough by examples I saw of the mechanics in action and the testimonials of people who liked it that I kept at it through one whole funky, hideous, unwearably-shaped hat project, kept coming back to it and making small modifications in technique in a somewhat haphazard way as i found what was most comfortable and efficient for me. I’ve also messed along the way with Portuguese, Irish Cottage, and every other major style you can find online, giving each a fair shake. I tried enough different styles to know better than to casually dismiss any of them, because they all “work” very, very well. what the human hands can become fluent with is almost limitless. I’m inclined to think that In context, every legitimate style is “the best” (by legitimate, i mean one that has been developed and adopted over time by numerous knitters and is practiced with skill and ergonomic awareness). What you practice most is what you will find most comfortable and easy—the endless “debate” over superiority of different knitting styles over others really amuses me! :slight_smile:

Anyway, sorry to ramble, I just thought it was an interesting topic.

Ah, thanks for the reply…we can ramble on like a rose, eh? LOL!! We’re not making a ‘technique video’, right? Oh, yes…

I, too had trouble converting from English flicking to Continental…would work in the TV room and come crashing back to my PC two rooms away to try to figure out this ‘purl’ thing! I’d scream, rant and rave with hubby looking me over as if I had lost my mind…quick lose, he’d say! LOL!!

I’d get my revenge by boring him to tears with my glea over learing a new technique…if I really wanted to get-to-him, I’d scoop up my project and plop on the couch next to him…an start a little chat; LOL!!

I like to hear the chatter about styles, methods…even if I disagree…so, I say ‘how to do this more efficiently, using less movement of the arms, hands and fingers…IMHO and as far as I can tell, Combined Continental my have the fewest movements of all styles…knit a 10’ afghan/blanket and your body will let you know…LOL!!

Gotta confess, though… I can’t P 4 tog using Continental anything and revert right back to English flicking; LOL!!

Reading that reminded me: There’s a guy on youtube (don’t remember his channel name off the top) who does instructional vids and uses a kind of continental with Norwegian purl when he knits fast, but seems to like to switch to a kind of English style when he slows down to do decreases or any other more fiddly sections. “Unorthodox” maybe, but he’s clearly quite fluid at it and there’s nothing wrong with his results.

ETA: ah, yes—“RJ knits” is the guy

** Ya, he purls through the back
probably…takes about four movements as I recall…I was
amazed back in the day to realize one could purl through the
back of a stitch with the yarn in ack…!!**

** After learning the Norwegian purl, I tackles
the very fast/efficient Russian purl through the front if I’m
not doing complicated patterns on the next row…it twists
the stitch…normal right hand work puts the yarn on
CCW…the Russian puts in on CW…thus the twist…work
it off on the next row through the back…**

** I can’t do things fast with my hands due to
age, medications I take causing shakiness, etc…so, I
settle in at 27 knit sts per minute…very little movement
of the body, though and soothing, really…and am still
scratching my head at how Hazel gets 118 knit sts a
minute… Wow!!

Me too!!! Although I learned to crochet left handed… go figure…

The most important thing I learned is… well two things, really… Never give up on yourself and when in doubt, google it!!!

Of course always know that the experts (and I do believe you are…) at Knitting Help always have your back…

Happy knitting!!!