What is co 4 x 1 st?

Hi,

I have this pattern but don’t understand what co 4 x 1 st means.

I think it is saying cast off, but what is 4 x 1 st?

http://www.lanagrossa.com/service/mdm/10_2008/index.html

Thanks.

Found this answer:

Cast off 1 stitch at beginning 4 times every 4 row.

Nice pattern, by the way! Yeah, this pattern has an odd way of telling the knitter what to do, and when! Oy!

Translating “patternese” is the hugest obstacle I’ve ever experienced with my knitting. It’s not THE DOING that is hard, it’s translating the WHAT TO DO “patternese”.

That’s more of a european type pattern instruction, the Drops patterns at www.garnstudio.com are written that way too. And when it’s ‘cast off 1 st’ it tends to look better to just decrease it. I think cast off and decrease translate the same.

For hip slant co 4 x 1 st in every 4th row (3 x 1 st in every 4th row, then 1 x 1 st in foll 6th row) on both sides = 46 (52) sts.

[color="#330099"]
Sound to me like “cast off 4 times: 1 sts in every 4th row (3 times: 1 st in each 4th row, and once in the following 6th row) on both sides.”

The cast on was 54 (60) and result will be 46 (52) sts. Since the sentence end with “on both sides” 4 repeats of 2 sts cast off = -8 and 3 reps of 2 dec plus 1 rep of 2 dec = -8 so both sizes result in 46 (52) sts.

or

row 4, 8, 12: cast off 1 both edges.
row 16 (18) cast off 1 both edges.

or

Literal translation: For hip slant cast off 4 times, 1 st in every 4th row (or 4 times, 1 st in row 4,8,12,18) on both sides resulting in 46 (52) sts.

Yeah, that is an odd way to code it.

There, Sue, have I used enough words? :wink:

Oh and the Abbreviation list includes a dec but not a co. The dec is not used in the pattern (nor is dc for UK double crochet or US sc unless I miss my guess). So I think they do me cast off and not decrease when they use co. but I have been wrong before :eyebrow2:
[/COLOR]

When work measures 21 (22) cm (approx 8,3" resp 8,7") from beg…

[color="#330099"]
Ever notice their use of , (comma) for the decimal in measures? Note the use of 8,3" instead of 8.3 inches and and 8,7" instead of 8.7 inches. Of course what we call a period is called a “full stop” in the UK so maybe they are more flexible in what symbol they use to represent the decimal in numbers. :nails:

Sorry, I better code a [/RANT] now. :oops: [/COLOR]

Yeah, and could they differentiate between cast-on(co) and cast off (co)? The code is the same, wouldn’t bind-off (bo) be more efficient?

But European knitters don’t use the term bind off, they generally say cast off instead.