What is broken rib pattern?

Hi,
I want to do this pattern for myself… but can someone tell me what broken rib pattern is??
Thanks

I found this (below) at Lion Brand. I hope this helps. Is that the item you are knitting? It’s very snuggly-looking.

STITCH EXPLANATION:

Broken Rib
Row 1 (RS): Knit.
Row 2: * K 3, purl 2, rep from *.
Rep Rows 1 and 2.

Open Stitch
Row 1: K1, * yarn over, knit 2 together, rep from * to last st, k1.
Rep Row 1.

NOTES:

When increasing, be sure to incorporate new sts into pattern as established.

A broken rib usually has you work the right side in ribbing–whatever pattern you like, and purl or knit across the back.

:?? I can’t picture that, but maybe there’s a video.

Basically you rib on one side and work without ribbing on the other.

I get it, just purl the other side like regular, instead of k1, p1?

Hm…I wonder what that would look like, I’ll have to try a swatch tonight. Does it make the ribbing less elastic though?

here’s a picture of something i was working on in broken rib:

for that piece the pattern went something like:

Row1: k3, p2, k2, p1, k2, p2, k3
Row 2: knit across

it didn’t really “curl” … but it DID have strange folding action:

from the front

from the back

people suggested that i block it… but, on a recent airplane trip the needles and yarn were confiscated. =(

:tap: What??? National security has gone toooo far!!! Did you get them back?!? :!!!:

OK, here’s a stupid newbie question :oops: Would it matter if row 2 is purled instead of knitted?

I believe you can do it either way. It’s less stretchy, but stays flattened out more. It can be very pretty.

it was on an international trip. :pout: i guess different countries have different rules of what is allowed on the plane.
they said my needles were considered sharp pointed objects and that my yarn was considered a rope. :shock:

it was on an international trip. :pout: i guess different countries have different rules of what is allowed on the plane.
they said my needles were considered sharp pointed objects and that my yarn was considered a rope. :shock:[/quote]

Those people are outrageous! :!!!:
When was the last time you’ve seen people stab another person with knitting needles and tie people with yarns? :-x We wouldn’t even like WASTE our yarns simply just to tie people up! :!!!:

The only time I have ever seen anyone stabbed by knitting needles was on Foul Play! LOL! Now that I’m a knitter I can relate! :smiley:

"I stabbed him with the needles"
“Ah, narcotics eh?”
“No, knitting!” :teehee: