What does this mean?: Rows 2+

Hi, everyone.

I’m new here, and this is my first post. :slight_smile: I’m a Kiwi, and I’ve just bought a new pattern that is American. It’s a little different, and I haven’t seen a pattern set out like this before.

So, this is the first part I am stuck on.

"[I]Body (Ribbed rectangle): CO 82 sts. Row 1(RS): p1, * k3, p2, k3, p1* Rows 2+: K knit sts, p purl sts. BO after 280(315, 350, 385, 420) rows, approx. 42 (47, 52, 58, 63)[/I]”.

(Notice my confusion begins immediately after the casting-on bit!..lol. This does not bode well for the rest of the pattern.)

So, I understand it up until it says “Rows 2+: K knit sts, p purl sts”

What I did was cast on 82 stitches. Then I did “p1, k3, p2, k3, p1” once. I would then expect to see something like, “Repeat from * to * to the last stitch. P1.” Then it would instruct me to begin row 2, etc, etc. However, instead, it gives me the whole “Rows 2+” scenario.

Oops, I went to post the link to the pattern, but it seems that’s breaking the rules as this is only my first post.

You can google it, if you’d like to. It’s called the “Rib’N Shrug” and if you put that in google along with “tangram knits” you’ll see it. The grey one.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks so much.

Michaela

Welcome to the forum, Michaela. I don’t know how far along your knitting journey you have come, but I wish you well in your knitting travels.

I haven’t come across a pattern that doesn’t explain the stars or how you get to the end of the row. I think your first row should read P1, K3, P2, K3, P1. Repeat from * to * to the end of the row

The second row seems to assume that you know what it means, but it’s quite simple once you do know what it means. Where you see a knit stitch, you knit it and where you see a purl stitch you purl it. The ‘Rows 2+’ means that you do that for every row. So in Row 2 you’re going to K1, P3, K2, P3, K1. Repeat from * to * to the end of the row. This is because, when you turn your work around to knit the 2nd row, the knit stitches will show as purls and the purl stitches will show as knits. In the third row you’ll be doing the same as the first row.

I haven’t seen a pattern where it tells you to do a certain number of rows for the entire pattern. It would usually tell you to work until your work measures a certain number of inches or centimetres. You could probably pick whichever instruction is easier for you.

I hope I have explained it clearly enough for you. No doubt others will give their version and you can pick the one that you can most easily get your head round.

Gillian

Thank you, Gillian! You’re a star. And, if I might mention, you have my favourite international accent (Irish!). Just to give you a giggle, I once looked up for tutorials on how to speak with an Irish accent because I think it’s so beautiful!

Michaela.

Glad to be of help, Michaela. I hope your project is coming along well.

Mine is a Northern Irish accent, which is quite different to the southern Irish accent. Two famous people with a Northern Irish accent are Liam Neeson, the Star Wars actor, and Rory McIlroy, the golfer. To hear a southern Irish accent the most famous person you could listen to would be Enda Kenny, the Irish prime minister.

Gillian