What does "slip" mean?

I am trying to do the “Linen Stitch” pattern.

The directions in my book read:

1. *k1, slip 1 purlwise with yarn at front of work, bring yarn to back of work between needles; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, k2.
  2. *p1, slip 1 purlwise with yarn at back of work, bring yarn to front of work between needles; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, p2.

I understand everything except “slip 1 purlwise”. I feel silly because I would think that the book I have would tell you what “slipping stitches” means, but I haven’t had any luck finding an explanation yet.

TIA :mrgreen:

It just means to move the stitch on the left hand needle over to the right hand needle without working it (just slip it). In your case they want you to move it purlwise which means to insert the right hand needle into the stitch in the direction you would to purl. That is the most common way to slip a stitch and is usually the one to use if it just says “slip 1” with no further direction given. You can also slip knitwise, where you insert the right hand needle into the stitch like you would to knit the stitch and then just slip it over.

To slip a stitch, you just move it from the left needle to the right without knitting it. Purlwise means to insert the right needle as if you’re going to purl it, but don’t. That keeps it in the right position for whatever you do to it on the next row.

Amy has videos on how to do slip stitches, knit-wise and purl-wise.

Go to this page, and scroll down to
[FONT=Arial][B]sl1k [/B][/FONT][FONT=Arial][B][I]aka[/I] sl 1 k-wise
and
sl1p [I]aka[/I] sl 1 p-wise[/B][/FONT]
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-glossary

Thank you to everyone who has commented! I think I get it, so I will go and try it out now. Special thanks for the video. If I can’t do it on my own, I’m sure the video will come in handy. :slight_smile: