What does k 2-11 sts mean?

At one point the directions say:

k 1, yo, k 2–11 sts.

Are they saying to knit 2 stitches or 11 or am I missing the whole thing?

Thanks!!
PattyAnne

Is it possible they’re telling you that at the end of the row you’re supposed to have 11 sts? Hard to say just with what you wrote. If that’s not it, someone else here with more experience should be able to help you.

Yes, if there’s more to the row, then you should have 11 sts on your needle at the end of the row…

Hi Wenda,

Thanks for the response. Maybe it will help if I put the whole pattern?? (It’s a freebie.) I’ve highlighted in red some of the lines that are really driving me NUTS!

Easy Triangle Shawl
Lion Brand® Homespun®

GAUGE:

8 sts = 4 in. [10 cm] in St st (K on RS, p on WS). BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you less stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.

SHAWL
Cast on 5 sts.
Row 1: (RS) K 2, yo, k 1, yo, [COLOR=“Red”]k 2 – 7 sts.[/COLOR]
Row 2: Knit.
Row 3: K 2, yo, k 1, yo, place marker (pm), k 1, pm, yo, k 1, yo, [COLOR=“Red”]k 2–11 sts.[/COLOR]
Row 4: Knit.
Row 5: K 2, yo, k to marker, yo, sl marker, k 1, sl marker, yo, k to last 2 sts, yo, [COLOR=“Red”]k 2 – 15 sts.[/COLOR]
Row 6: K 2, p to last 2 sts, k 2.
Rows 7–8: Repeat Rows 5 and [COLOR=“Red”]6 – 19 sts.[/COLOR]
Row 9: K 2, *yo, k2tog, rep from * to 1 st before marker, yo, k 1, yo, sl marker, k 1, sl marker, yo, k 1, **yo, k2tog, rep from ** to last 2 sts, yo, k 2 – 23 sts.
Row 10: K 2, p to last 2 sts, k 2.
Row 11: Repeat Row 5 – 27 sts.
Row 12: Knit.
Repeat Rows 5–12 for pattern 9 more times – 171 sts. Do not bind off.
FINISHING
Leave sts on needle. * Insert crochet hook through the next 3 sts and slip off needle, yo and draw through all sts on hook, chain 7; rep from * to last 3 sts, insert crochet hook through last 3 sts and slip off needle, yo and draw through all sts on hook. Fasten off. Weave in ends.

Thanks again!
PattyAnne

Yes, just look at Row 1. You cast on 5 sts, but add 2 yo, which makes 7. In Row 3, you have 4 yo, so your total sts comes to 11. So when you have a number at the end (eg [COLOR=“Red”]k2 - 11 sts[/COLOR]), that is simply the total number of sts you should have at the end of that row.

Wenda’s got it.

[B]k2[/B]is part of the instructions, [B]-7[/B]is the total # of stitches you’ll end up with when you finish working that row. The yo’s are increases.

Thank y’all so much!!! I see it now!! Yippee!! Thanks!!

This pattern looks good if you only make small squares,sew them together for babies blankets.I do these for charity work and they are well appreciated.:knitting: