What does it mean to "loop 'n lock" when knitting in the round?

I have a hat pattern with vertical stripes. After knitting the ribbing in the round, the pattern is knit back and forth on the round needles. The pattern says to 'loop ‘n lock’ to join the rounds when the work is turned to do a new row. (wrong side rows are all just purled - there is a pattern on the right side) How is this joining done? What I have tried has not worked and I am frustrated and about ready to ignore it and sew up a seam afterwards. I feel I am missing a valuable skill by doing that and I would appreciate it if someone could explain how the join can be done.

So the pattern is knit flat (back and forth on the needles)? Or is it joined in rounds?
There is a technique called loop 'n lock which is used to join separate areas of color (intarsia) when knitting in the round. Here’s a description of it from Sock Knitting, p. 73 (scroll down a page).
https://books.google.com/books?id=wW4kCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq='loop+‘n+lock’+to+join+the+rounds+when+the+work+is+turned+to+do+a+new&source=bl&ots=TkJChfXQZT&sig=e84E10UUh5f1VBOiATg65Fahbjo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwib2Yy307LPAhXMXR4KHQWUAk8Q6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=‘loop%20’n%20lock’%20to%20join%20the%20rounds%20when%20the%20work%20is%20turned%20to%20do%20a%20new&f=false

It may also be worth looking at this video for intarsia in the round which uses the short row technique.

I figured it must be intarsia, but without seeing the pattern I wasn’t sure. Never heard of loop and lock.

Thank you so much!! This video is exactly what I needed.
I had been close to this when I tried to ‘invent’ a connect, but the result was not right.
This shows me how and I am really happy. Thanks again.

Oh, I had come across that book page myself and found it confusing, but this video is perfect.

I’ve seen a similar video and also found it easier to understand than the text. Love to see the finished hat!

This hat may be a long term project! It has 12 bobbins of yarn dangling from it and they are not very large needles. I consider it a challenge. :unamused:

I think I will love to see the finished hat too!

Yes, it’s indeed a challenge and other knitters will appreciate that! Good luck with it.