What does [instruction here] mean?

Hi, I’m a newbie at knitting, so I dont’ understand what alot of stuff means. Could someone please help me on this?

“Round #1: knit one, purl one for entire round.
Round #2: purl one, knit one for entire round.
Round #3: knit one, purl one for entire round.”

You will be working in the round, either on a circular needle or on double pointed needles (dpns). A ‘round’ is comparable to a ‘row’ in flat knitting.

Round 1 you will repeat K1, P1, K1, P1, etc. for the entire round.
Round 2 you will repeat P1, K1, P1, K1, etc. for the entire round.
Round 3 will be identical to round 1.

Hope this helps.

Round #1: knit one, purl one for entire round.
You will keep repeat knit one, purl one until you reach the end of the row, i.e., K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, etc.

Round 2 would be the same, except you would purl one, then knit one until you reach the end of the row.

You’re ribbing.

Carolyn

It’s actually seed stitch because you’re doing it in the round and each round is different. Doing all rounds k1, p1 is ribbing.

sue

Actually, since this is in the round with one round beginning with a knit and the next round beginning with a purl, etc., you will be producing seed stitch, not ribbing.

Oops! Glad you two are on the ball! It is indeed seed stitch. I’m sorry about that ~ for some reason it translated in my head as ribbing!

Carolyn

Thanks alot for your help! I also don’t get

“(knit 8, knit 2 together), around.
2. (and all even rows) knit.
3. (knit 7, knit 2 together), around.
5. (knit 6, knit 2 together), around.
7. (knit 5, knit 2 together), around.”

If someone could help me with that?

you are doing decreases and the part in the () they are telling you to repeat. So the first round is knit 8, knit 2 together, knit 8, knit 2 together, etc all the way around. second round is just knit. 3rd round is knit 7, knit 2 together, etc all the way around…etc etc.