What did I do?

Edited to add a photo! :slight_smile:

I started typing this once, but it all disappeared…weird! So, apologies if this is a double post.

Anyway, take two. I don’t have a digital camera, so I can’t post a picture of this, so I hope it make sense to someone! I just started knitting with DPNs, and I was practicing last night with some waste yarn. I made a small hat, but when I got to the end, it looked like it was inside-out: the stockinette stitch was on the inside of the tube, rather than on the outside. So, I just turned it inside out. But even weirder than that, there’s a band of garter stitch (several rows) around the bottom of the hat! I have absolutely NO idea what I did! :?? It actually looks kind of cute, but I’d like to know how I did it so I can avoid it when I don’t want it, and replicate it when I do want it. Does that make sense to anyone? Thanks in advance!

Having the “inside out” hat is common among new knitters. What you most likely did was have the knitting toward you when knitting so you are were knitting on the inside of the circle. The needles should be closest to you so you are knitting on the outside.

I’m not sure about the garter ridge unless you through a row or two of purls in there. :teehee:

the only way to get garter stitches when knitting in the round is to knit one round and purl one round (like you would do to get stockinette when knitting flat.) If you don’t remember doing that, I wonder if maybe you put down the work and then picked it back up and started knitting the other direction…not sure if that would cause that to happen though (never tried it.)

I bet that’s what happened. You might want to take a look near the bottom of this page to see how to tell when you’re working inside-out. (Note: it’s okay to work inside-out on purpose if you prefer – some people like to do it that way to keep the right side clean or whatever.)

I’m pretty sure I didn’t purl, as I knew that I didn’t need to. But it’s nice to know that will work if I want to! I did work on it sporadically throughout the evening, so I must have just put it down as brendajos suggested. I’ll have to try again and see what happens.

Thanks!!! :cheering:

I bet that’s what happened. You might want to take a look near the bottom of this page to see how to tell when you’re working inside-out.

The more I think about it, the more I think that is what happened. I do remember that the finished work seemed to be “crawling” up towards me, and I had to keep pushing it back down–but I assumed it was just the stockinette stitch curling up.

LOL…I bought the lovliest merino yarn to make hats for my brother and best friend…but I guess I need a LOT more practice! :teehee: