What are you reading?

I just finished the last book in the Chaoswars trilogy by Raymond Feist. Looking now for more fiction to devour.

I’m currently reading The Goldfinch, and I’m about to the book of short stories, Tenth of December, by George Saunders.

just finished lois lowry’s ‘the giver’ so i could watch the movie. was not a fan…

SPOILER ALERT: heavy-handed youth version of sheep mentality dystopia disguised as utopia, with the added fun of euthanasia. i might as well have re-read ‘fahrenheit 451’ - nobody does it better than bradbury.

i’m readily amazed how many youth books are given high marks by adults/adult-led organizations… who seem to have forgotten the classics that were done much better, with fewer awards in their time. the modern ‘everybody gets a trophy just for trying’ mentality extends way too far IMO.

next up is ‘the maze runner’ by james dashner; also so i can watch its new movie. this one i’ve heard better things about, both the book, and the movie adaptation, so i have higher hopes.

Reading The Hot Zone again after many years. I love biological and medical books of many types so this is right up my alley. It’s fascinating!

Is this by Richard Preston? I"m looking to check it out of the library; there are two books by the same name and this one looks more like what you’re talking about.

Yeah, that’s the one.

Dammit, my iPad froze again and I lost the rest of my post. Weird that it even posted the above. What I said was that it’s about the origins of Ebola and other hemmorrhagic (so?) diseases. Its not clinical or scientific though so it’s an easy read.

I just finished reading “The Birth of Venus” by Sarah Dunant and I LOVED IT. It is historical fiction. The main character is by all accounts fictional yet the story takes place in a historically correct setting. The book sucked me in and I have taken advantage of every quiet moment to read - even stayed up way too late a few nights.

I’m reading The Hot Zone, by Richard Preston.
Excellent reading!

The Hot Zone: A Terrifying True Story is a best-selling 1994 non-fiction thriller by Richard Preston about the origins and incidents involving viral hemorrhagic fevers, particularly ebolaviruses and marburgviruses. The basis of the book was Preston’s 1992 New Yorker article “Crisis in the Hot Zone”.

The filoviruses Ebola virus (EBOV), Sudan virus (SUDV), Marburg virus (MARV), and Ravn virus (RAVV) are Biosafety Level 4 agents. Biosafety Level 4 agents are extremely dangerous to humans because they are very infectious, have a high case-fatality rate, and there are no known prophylactics, treatments, or cures. Along with describing the history of the diseases caused by these two Central African diseases, Ebola virus disease (EVD) and Marburg virus disease (MVD), Preston describes a 1989 incident in which a relative of Ebola virus named Reston virus (RESTV), was discovered at a primate quarantine facility in Reston, Virginia, less than fifteen miles (24 km) away from Washington, DC. The virus found at the facility was a mutated form of the original Ebola virus.

I finished The Hot Zone and now I’m reading Ebola: The Natural and Human History of a Deadly Virus by David Quammen. This book includes info from the current outbreak.

i’ve been reading in in small bites, i mean bits, and just finished “Bacon: A Love Story.” http://www.amazon.com/Bacon-Love-Story-Heather-Lauer/dp/006197126X it’s billed as the next best thing to actual bacon wrapped in more actual bacon, and it’s true. facts, trivia, anecdotes, information, essays, you name it, all about bacon and bacon-related porks. yum. :wink:

Have you read “Spillover” by Quammen?
I haven’t yet, but am going to start on it soon. The Hot Zone is a great beginner book, too, it delivers truth, and is written in a way that fascinates the reader, well, at least, it did me.
Ebola, Natural and Human History; how do you like it so far? Is it developing the history in a more academic, or a more, ehm, entertaining, way, like Hot Zone does?

Ebola: The Natural Human History… Is a newer more up to date version of Spillover. No point in me reading that one at this point. According to Quammen and his experts Preston exaggerated a bit in The Hot Zone about Ebola symptoms, but I agree it was a good book.

So far, the first 6 chapters in Spillover are dealing with the Hendra virus, and zoonosis in general, but mostly focused on Hendra, and it’s possible reservoirs.
Bats are a major focus, too, as being the source of several hemorrhagic fevers (Ebola), plus coronaviruses, (SARS), Hendra,
Nipah (basic encephalitis), with jumping of species transmission due to contact with contaminated saliva or bat guano.
Is Ebola NHH a reiteration of this?

Yes, but it’s updated. Go to Amazon and read the info and the reviews. The first review says it’s far more than a rehash of Spillover and is very thorough.

I’m now reading Ebola K: A Terrorism Thriller by Bobby Adair. It’s fiction and is really good! All the basic Ebola info is true, but it’s based on the scary idea that it could be airborne. The first book of the trilogy is free so if you like this kind of thing get it.

Got it! Thanks for the heads up!

Im only 1/3 of the way through the first book and I’m sure I’ll be buying the second. :zombie: :thumbsup:

Sorry I haven’t been on recently. Been very busy.
Ebola K!! I do like books like that, so, yes, will be getting the free copy, if still avail.
At this time, I’m on chapter 34 of Spillover, and the more I hear, and do additional research online, the more I see that bats are a particularly popular reservoir for all kinds of nasty killer viruses.
Interesting how some animals, like the Palm Civet, are also reservoirs, but not the primary stomping ground for SARS.
Specific species of bats, such as the horseshoe and 3 species of fruit bats: Hypsignathus monstrosus, Epomops franqueti, and Myonycteris torquata, harbor ebola. Bats in general can be reservoirs for Hendra, Ebola, and SARS. Makes you want to avoid the bat cages at the zoo! Ha!

Am getting ready to download the free copy to my Kindle.
Thanks for the link.

`
not like i don’t have enough going on, with freelance work, school, family health issues, etc., but… i’m a library geek. this past week, yakima’s system added a metric ton of knitting books to the catalog. i just… i mean… i can’t even… it’s so many… most are still stuck in processing hell, but of the available ones, i already have 3 checked out.

and i even read 1: ‘cool knitting for kids’ by alex kuskowski. at only 32 pages (including title, copyright, table of contents, glossary, index, large type & tons of pictures). it has everything for getting started: tools of the trade, reading patterns & labels, holding needles, counting stitches, slipknots, casting on, knits, bind offs, whip-stitching, color dyeing w/kool-aid, & 3 project patterns (fingerless gloves, 2-color scarf, felted bag). it’s part of a series of ‘cool fiber arts’ for kids including crocheting, embroidery, needle felting, punch needling, and sewing.

next up are ‘entrelac 2: new techniques for interlace knitting’ & ‘chunky knits: 31 projects for you & your home, knit with bulky yarn.’

Currently in the middle of a lot of books :stuck_out_tongue: At the moment I’m reading ‘Girl Online’ by Zoe Sugg, ‘1984’ by George Orwell and ‘Animal Farm’ also by George Orwell (for the third time :P). But I want to start reading ‘The Book Thief’ by Markus Zusak and ‘Paper Towns’ by John Green :slight_smile: