What am I doing?

Hey there, I’m brand new to knitting. I decieded to start really simple and do a one coloured scarf. Why is it getting wider as I go? LOL! Other than that it actually looks pretty good

If you have more stitches than you started with, then somewhere you’re adding stitches. It’s so common that there’s a sticky on the top of the How-To page.

If you have the same number of stitches, it could be that you’re just more relaxed so you’re knitting looser than when you started.

Count the stitiches on your needle, are there more than when you started? You may not be completing the knit stitich when you pull it off the needle…which results in a yarn over effect and increases the number of stitiches. Sometimes that happens when you are new or in a hurry.

The other reason, if the number of stitiches is the same, is that as a new knitter your stitch tension is not consistent (some more loose than others) which can make the width variable.

A scarf is a great first project, by the end of it you should have it down pat!!!

:rofl: I did the exact same thing. Amazing how those extra stitches magically appear. I thought I’d somehow bought some magic yarn. Read the sticky mentioned.