What am I doing wrong?

I’m a new knitter and im making a scarf…i realized that my stitches in the scarf dont really look like normal knitting…when i think of knit i think of V shaped stitches…you know? like this VVVVVVVVV
VVVVVVVVVV you know? mine kinda look like just squiggly lines and not distinct V’s…what can i do to make it seem more V-sh? haha…

in order to get the Vs you have to knit one row, purl one row, knit one row etc. if you are doing either ONLY knit or ONLY purl, you are going to get more of a bumpy texture.

For a scarf, you don’t want to use stockinette (the all V type stitch) because the edges will curl. If you don’t like garter stitch (which is what you’re probably doing), maybe you can try a k1p1 rib instead.

Or if you want stockinette use a border of seed stitch or garter stitch so it won’t curl.

As the others said, you’re probably knitting every row which makes garter stitch and the backs of knit stitch Vs are purl bumps. You can make a scarf that won’t curl much by knitting about 5 or 6 rows, then alternate knitting a row and purling a row, but keep about 3-5 stitches at each end in garter stitch.

sue

I am a new knitter as well and I just recently did a scarf using a 3x3 rib pattern and that turned out well, but the scarf that I am most proud of is one that uses double knitting, giving you that V pattern on both sides and hollow in the middle.

The pattern that I used was one of those free patterns that are in the yarn section.

Here it is:
I used 4ply worsted weight yarn, using size US 13 (9.0mm) needles.

Cast on 44 sts.

Row 1: *K1, yarn forward, sl next st. from left needle to right needle as if to purl, yarn back; rep from * across.

Row 2: Rep row 1 (make sure to knit the stich that was slipped and slip the stitch that was knit on the previous row). Work to desired length.

Special bind off: *K2, pass right st over left st, K2tog, pass right st over left st; rep from * across. Weave in ends.

This scarf only took a day to make (that’s after only one rip out) and found it very easy once I got used to slipping the stitches purl wise to the right needle.

Blessed Be.