Wet blocking

Are pins essential for wet blocking? My sweater seems to be lying flat, in the right proportions. Is it likely to contract as it dries?

I personnally find that depending on the yarn it could contract. I would say it is a personal preference.

I don’t know the answer. I think I’d pin it. If you don’t and you’re unhappy with the result you can wet it again or maybe pin it then steam it or spray it down with water and let it dry. Fortunately nothing about blocking seems to be permanent. Unless it’s acrylic and you kill the yarn with heat. That’s forever. What fiber is your sweater?

Thanks @GrumpyGramma i learned something thanks to you. I didn’t know that heat would kill the fibers in acrylic.

Thanks to you both. I have laid it out and it is almost dry now without any alteration in shape. Incidentally, re not blocking acrylics, this applies to any man made fibres, and specially don’t ever attempt to block or steam silk.
Bye for now.

This video shows blocking cotton and acrylic, then killing the acrylic. It’s done with crocheted pieces but shows what killed acrylic is like. I’ve done what I thought was killing acrylic with steam but it didn’t change the fabric quite as much as she does with the iron. The acrylic part is at about 4 min. if you don’t want to watch the entire video. I found the comparison very interesting.

Thanks for getting back to us. I’m pretty new to actual blocking since over the years I’ve mostly used acrylics in part because I can throw them in the washer and dryer and skip the blocking. I have used steam to help acrylic yarns bloom. There’s always so much to learn.

I too @GrumpyGramma tend to just wash and dry it on a permament press cycle and it is basically ready to go. Interesting about the steam though.

1 Like