Welcome to the KnittingHelp forum! ...Introduce yourself!

Welcome @hcf @appledumpling and @Wndrflme!

Thx for letting me join. I’m an iffy knitter, but always looking for fiber art improvement.

A post was split to a new topic: Easy Raglan Sweater help

Hello, from New York!
My name is Laura and I’m a married mom of two boys. I’m an avid crocheter, but I very much want to take up knitting. I know the very basics and I’ve completed a couple hats. I’m working on my first pair of socks, lol. I look forward to making friends and learning more! :heart:

Welcome wndrflme and Jimsgrl! Happy to have you join us. We’re at all levels here and all learning from each other. There’s always something new in knitting and crochet.

A post was split to a new topic: Short row heel help

Hallo allemaal. Wat geweldig dat dit er is, Heb een maand of 4 geleden erg mooie wol gekocht in Amsterdam en kwam er in de trein achter dat de breibeschrijving in het engels was. PROBLEEM. Ben niet zo heel goed in engels en zeker niet als het om brie termen gaat. Ben uiteindelijk terug gegaan naar Amsterdam (woon daar niet) en heb een hele tijd met de vrouwen van de winkel gerpraat over hoe ik het moest gaan doen. Zij hebben mij enorm geholpen en ik heb nu het voor en achterpand af maar moet eerst de schoudernaden sluiten want de mouwen moet aan het pand gemaakt worden. Mijn vraag hoe brei ik het voor en achterpand aan elkaar bij de schouders?

@Hannie_De_Wit
Mijn Nederlands is niet-bestaand, maar je kunt het beste lid worden van de schouders samen met 3 naald kant af. Heeft u live steken?

My Dutch is non-existent but you can best join the shoulders together with 3 needle bind off. Do you have live stitches?

Geweldig fijn dat u heeft gereageerd, dit is inderdaad een hele mooie en makkelijke manier om de schouders aan elkaar te breien. ben erg blij met u reactie en ga meteen aan de slag, bedankt

Handy Google translate helped out here:
“Great glad you responded, this is indeed a very nice and easy way to knit shoulder seams. 'm very happy with you reaction and go straight to work, thanks”

Graag gedaan. Gelukkig je het antwoord gevonden

A post was split to a new topic: Sewing class?

Hi, newbie. Here. Need some help understanding a pattern

Post your question in the forum. How-to Questions or General would probably be most appropriate.

Hello I very been knitting for a bit but wanting to improve it is notice I still tend to get large loop at theach beginning of row and when I m1 I leave holes so I tend to keep flogging and restarting going down sizes in needles soon looking for some help please thanks in advance

Welcome to KH! Those loops usually get worked in just fine, but you can give the yarn a little tug to help. Keep knitting and see if it doesn’t just blend in as it usually does for me.

M1 will leave small holes also known as eyelets. Knit into the stitch to twist it and it will help. You could use another increase instead depending on your pattern.

A post was split to a new topic: M1 purl

Hi, I’m new to the concept of forum posting, so please bear with me.
I’m Flemish but have been living in Suffolk, UK since mid-1988 when I married my ‘current’, English husband - I joined the local Spinners & Weavers group 14 years ago, and am now in my last year as Hon. Sec. of the group since by the November AGM I will have served 7 years altogether and would like to enjoy the sociable aspect without so much of my time taken up with secretarial stuff, even though I have enjoyed that part as well. I do not just spin and weave, but do some microwave dyeing as well, and of course I crochet and knit, having learnt both in primary school when I was 6 (a scarily long time ago); at the moment I’m doing a bit of everything, including showing 3 ladies how to crochet at the local pub tonight (I started with 1, a fortnight ago - apparently I fired up some enthusiasm in the other 2 at the time).
I found your forum when I was hoping to get some clarification on knitting a Bosom Friend/Sontag. I was puzzled by the fact that the ‘translation’ of the original January 1860 pattern was scant on detail, but especially by the seeming inconsistency of the part that did not appear to take the extra 20 stitches into consideration. When I got to the point (literally!), having followed the instructions and knitted the extra number of blocks (rather than rows), and checked the size, I found it so much smaller and less tapered than the description that I felt the only way I could get close to a fitting garment was by means of the border. However I then tried - but failed - to understand how to “cast on 12 stitches and knit garter stitch around the outside, and back up the front”; I didn’t know how to contact the lady who published the original pattern plus the translation to ask, so here I am. I should explain that I have never [yet] knitted a conventional cardigan, nor a wraparound shawl, this was my first attempt at that particular project.

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
What a wealth of experience you have in all different aspects of yarn.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Chefadina/bosom-friend-or-sontag-circa-1860

Very interesting pattern for the bosom friend. This video and the one that follows show you one method to join the border to the edge. The projects are different but the idea is the same.

The advice in the second video to join at every other row on the main project is helpful to keep in mind.

Thank you so much for this very helpful link, what an attractive finish! I had no idea this could be done, and I know that the bane of many knitters’ lives is joining up - I have a cardigan in the pipeline that will benefit from this style of joining as well. I’m just about to leave for our weekly Spinners & Weavers meeting, but will have a try at this later on. :slight_smile:

Hi! My name is Patty and what a useful and helpful site. I have been knitting for awhile, pretty much basic projects and recently wanted to try something more challenging. Well I certainly found something challenging from the get go.
The instructions start out making a picot cast on: cast on 7 sts, cast off 2 sts
(5 sts on needle). My question is, how do I cast on 7, cast off 2?