Weird appearance, same stitch

Okay so I am knitting a scarf, just a beginner piece, and I am using a stockinette stitch. The look of the scarf is different in several places, even though the stitch is the same. Can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong?

Welcome to KH. The bottom part of the picture looks like k1,p1 rib. Above that it looks like seed stitch. Seed stitch is like doing rib except that you knit on top of purls and purl on top of knits. Knitting flat for stockinette you knit a row, turn and purl a row, knit a row, purl a row…just keep alternating knit rows and purl rows. Stockinette curls. If you want to have a scarf that’s flat you will need to add a border of something else, garter stitch (knit all the stitches) for about 5 or 6 stitches helps.

What I am doing currently is 1 garter, 1 purl, and so forth between them for each row.

I’m sure the garter and purl stitches are stacked on top of each other because I always end with a garter stitch. There have been a couple of times due to lost stitches etc that I have ended in a purl, but it has never been different for each row.

I’m not sure we’re talking about the same things. Garter stitch is when you knit all the stitches in every row, there are no purl stitches at all. I don’t understand what you mean by [I]doing 1 garter, 1 pur[/I]l and [I]always end with a garter stitch.[/I] I see knits and purls in the rows in the picture and that won’t produce stockinette or garter stitch. Maybe what you mean by “garter stitch” is a knit stitch.

Maybe if we could see a picture of what you’re wanting to accomplish it would help.

ahh right then, knit stitch. The most basic stitch.

I’m wondering if you guys are right though, maybe I just didn’t notice leading with the purl instead of the knit, but it seems like it would be for one row, not a big block when I am actively noticing the difference.

A Good Read: Identifying Your Stitches - This might be helpful to you.

At the top of the page under Free Videos you’ll find A Complete Introduction for Beginners. This is the first in the series: http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/how-to-knit-basics-beginner-tutorial-part-1 I think she covers just about everything in them.

If I knew for sure what you’re wanting to do it would help. If you can find a picture to link to? You can go to www.ravelry.com (free and safe to join) and search for beginner patterns and might find a pattern you like. Trying to help with a pattern could be easier.

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
Something has gotten mixed in the middle of the work. The bottom looks like k1, p1 rib (with twisted knit sts) and the top looks like seed stitch. In the middle, things are mixed however.
If you want to alternate knit and purl sts in columns of ribbing here’s a tutorial that may help. In about the middle is a photo with arrows pointing at the knit and purl sts which will help with recognizing them.

If you knit into the back of the stitch you’ll twist the stitch. It looks fine and it tightens up the knit stitch but it’s not the classic knit stitch. The knit stitch is commonly made into the front of the stitch as shown here:
http://learntoknit.lionbrand.com/faq/92.html?language=

this is the stitch I want, which I have in some places.

I am honestly just doing that particular stitch to practice knit and purl a lot. I’m not working off a pattern, really.

Also I apparently learned to knit the back loop (which I struggled with for some time) without trying.

You can get that stitch pattern by knitting an entire row, then purling the next entire row. Keep alternating knit row and purl row which will give you stockinette.
Knitting to practice is a great idea. You’re free to make mistakes, recognize them and correct them. You can try out all sorts of combinations, whatever pattern appeals to you. I like what you’ve done so far.

Quick question, what level of difficulty is attempting a cable stitch?

My next practice piece I was going to try that and I think I have the tool you need for it.

Also, the tiny knit plushy animals, do you think I can jump into those or should I make a ton of wash cloths and potholders and scarves before trying anything that complex?

You should be willing to attempt just about anything with the caveat that you might set it aside and come back to it. Too difficult is such an individual, subjective classification. Cables you can probably do right now, the animals you may encounter more difficulty with, but you might breeze right through them. Knit what you want. Wash cloths and dishcloths are good to practice stitch patterns and done up in the right yarn can make a nice panel for the front of a bag. Sewn together they make nice blankets. My first real project was a hooded cardigan with buttonholes and pockets, way over my head but with help here I finished it.

While cables look impressive they are not nearly as hard as they look! I agree with GG, try anything. :hug:

As I recall, Jan, you were one of the ones who held my hand and kept me going through that sweater. Looking back I’m amazed that it got done but it did. I’m particularly slow about learning new things. I’m always impressed with how fast others really do take off and conquer new skills.

seed stitching started again. But I am consistently starting with a knit stitch, so I shouldn’t be getting rows and rows of seed stitch.

How am I rotating stitches for so long? At least the scarf continues to look consistent, with, admittedly, some weird stitching between the seed stitched rows and the stockinette rows.

I’ve pulled apart multiple scarves previous to this, and this one is significantly better, my stitches are much looser, though they were too tight when I was casting on.

I will play with cable stitch next then. I’m actually enjoying the act of knitting so not being able to make the intense stuff isn’t such a big deal.

I am using circular needles, is there ever a reason to use straight needles? It seems like circular needles can fulfill the same purpose but you always get more room.

Seed stitch (k1, pl across the row) worked on an even number of stitches will always begin with a knit stitch because the last stitch will be a purl, turn and you’re looking at the knit side of the last stitch.

Rib worked in k1, p1 needs an odd number of stitches to always start with a knit; the last purl will be a knit on the other side.

I use circulars almost exclusively. I do like DPN (double point needles) for some things but a set of interchangeable circular needles gets rid of the need for buying the same size needles in different lengths, you just change the cable to a longer or shorter one. Knitting flat on a circ means the second needle is leashed and won’t be fed to a chair when it’s dropped. I gave my straight needles away except for a set or two in a size I rarely ever use.

Seed stitch worked on an odd number of stitches will always begin with a knit stitch because the last stitch will be a knit, turn and you’re looking at the purl side of the last stitch.

Rib worked in k1, p1 needs an even number of stitches to always start with a knit; the last purl will be a knit on the other side.

I use circulars almost exclusively. I do like DPN (double point needles) for some things but a set of interchangeable circular needles gets rid of the need for buying the same size needles in different lengths, you just change the cable to a longer or shorter one. Knitting flat on a circ means the second needle is leashed and won’t be fed to a chair when it’s dropped. I gave my straight needles away except for a set or two in a size I rarely ever use.

ahh I get it. Okay so now I understand.

That really clears things up! You guys are awesome!

I thought about also buying straight needles, but I’ll skip that then.

The ones I have now are…

Kurtzie circular needle set

They are decent, though I wish the cord was longer. The better sets really got up there in price, and I don’t want to sink too much money into it until I know it is going to be a long term hobby for me.

My first set was from Denise but those needles and I were not compatible, they now live with my granddaughter’s friend who told me she loves them. My next set was Knit Picks Sunstrucks (wood). Love them. Then I got the Knitter’s Pride Nova (nickel plate). Love them too, they’re my usual go to needles except for slippery yarns. In the long run a good set of interchangeables is much more economical and easier to deal with than a big assortment of straight needles, circular needles in various sizes and lengths, and DPN. If and when you want more needles you can try sampler sets or buy a single size of circ and see if you like them before spending money on a full set.