(weeps tiny tears of emo-sadness)

Hey. New to this forum and fairly new to knitting as well and I’m stuck. I’m really scary levels of stuck.

You see, having accomplished casting on, changing yarn in the middle of a project, garter stitch, and binding off, I’m now attempting purling.

And I have no bloody clue what I’m doing.

How does one even START purling from the cast on stitches? It makes no sense to me and it always winds up as an enormous tangle.

[color=darkblue]Go here and you can see a video of purling being done.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/purl.php
Hope that helps.
I know about being stuck.
Susie

[/color]

I looked at that, but it’s not really helping me, because it doesn’t show purling being done from the first part and I’m very confused and my work is still coming out as a big tangle. Am I casting on the wrong way or what? Do I just have stupid fingers and need to take up another hobby?

[color=darkblue]I’m a new knitter myself and I also find it frustrating and had thoughts of just quiting. :slight_smile: There are a lot of wonderful experienced knitters here who will be here soon to help you out. They have been wonderful to me.
We are not stupid, dull, or any such thing. WE are new. Everyone starts out with a blank brain when it comes to a new craft and we will get it if we just keep trying.
It is very confusing at times but they say in time it becomes like breathing.
Hope your help comes soon,
Susie[/color]

When you do purling the yarn has to be in the front of your work.
So, when you casted on and want to purl the first row, remember to hold the yarn to the front.
If it’s easier for you, knit the first row and start purling afterwards. Depending on your cast on this might be easier when you start learning to purl.
And don’t worry, we all had problems when we started!

Are you knitting continental or English. I find that conti purling is more difficult (I’m strictly an English knitter.) If you are doing in continental, maybe you can try english to get the hang of it and see what it’s supposed to look like.

Just put your needle in the front of the stitch from right to left (with the yarn in front as Javede said) and wrap your yarn over the needle counter clockwise. Follow the line of the loop that is on the needle and wrap it and pull it through the back.

Hang in there, you’ll get it.

(glees)I’ve figured it out! Thank you!