Waste yarn as a lifeline?

I’m trying to knit mittens from Amy’s video. I had one finished except for the thumb, which is giving me fits. (I can’t seem to get the finesse needed to pick up the stitches without leaving gaping holes) Long story short, I thought I was doing OK until I saw the aforementioned gaping holes; so I frogged it back to the “set aside” stitches for the thumb. This is where disaster struck - I thought I had the stitches all ready to go back on my needles for a second go around, but they all popped out. Now I am going to redo the whole thing. My biggest question is, would there be anything wrong with leaving the waste yarn in the set aside stitches in case the same thing happens again? I realize I’d have to be careful not to get it caught up in any other stitches, but other than that is there a reason not to use it as a lifeline?

Thanks in advance!

I’d leave it there, too. You may have a few stitches look looser because of working around it, but that’ll even out as soon asthe work is washed, or with ordinary wear.

For a lifeline I would use something really skinny like crochet thread. It’s up to you, I just don’t like working with the fatter yarn in place but I don’t like the thread for holding the stitches. lol

I don’t like frogging and having to redo the whole thing, lol! I have some Peaches and Cream cotton left over from dishcloth patterns, maybe I could use it.

So, anybody that does mittens, how long did it take you to perfect the thumbs?:hair:

One thing you might do is pick up an extra stitch where you think there’ll be a hole. You can always decrease on the next round.
It does get better (and easier) with practice.

I make mitts/mittens/fingerless gloves. I’ll let you know when I perfect it. It does get better with practice, perfection I must leave to those who can attain it.

Actually Amy has you pick up 3 stitches instead of just one, and then decrease them in the first round.

She makes it look so simple, but I still ended up with holes, and my attempt to repair them was a disaster.

I’m not giving up, though. I’ve started the new mitten and have decided to leave the waste yarn in the thumb gusset in case I have to rip back again. (It helps if I tell myself that I am learning valuable lessons from the errors I make - otherwise it’s just too frustrating, lol!) Surely the more I do this, the better the thumbs will start to look.

Absolutely, you are indeed learning. Sometimes these problems seem to go away but I think it’s really that you’ve worked through all the mistakes.
I wonder if you’re picking up sts in a single strand and perhaps should be picking up further into the knit fabric? Sometimes, that can create a hole.
Good luck this time around and come back if it’s still a problem.