Was there an event that "caused" you to start knitting?

It was that my dd was expecting her first baby and our FIRST Grandchild. The “baby” is four years old now and I’ve been a serious knitter ever since. Oh…she’s expecting her second child in November and its a BOY!!!:cheering::cheering:

what started me wanting to learn was back several years ago … I was just so fascinated and bewildered on what 1 pair of human hands could do with a needle and string. I was just mezmerized on how beautiful, special, and truly unique some items were. I tried to learn twice and couldn’t get it~ and gave up for a while …
BUT what got me REALLY interested in trying to learn again was the multiple deaths our family had last year. With the cherry on the top being losing my dad. I truly believe my knitting was a gift from God b/c it gave me SOMETHING else to focus on besides… "dad is gone… dad is gone… dad is gone’… :pout::pout::pout:
My mind could wander on How to make a purl stitch, or how to use a cable needle, or how to learn to appreciate the uniqueness and beauty of different yarns. I could visit online with some very friendly, generous people that :heart::heart: their hobbby and wanted to share it with anyone willing to listern. It kept me going ( along with the kindness on this forum)… it gave me something GOOD in a year that was so utterly rotten~!:ick::ick:

What a great topic! It’s wonderful that knitting has been such a healing activity for so many.

I had a young co-worker who decided she wanted to learn to knit last year. I admit, I giggled at her a little, because here she was this young 24 year old and she wanted to take up what I erroneously thought was an activity only for grannies. I know, I know! I’m sorry. I had no idea! She managed to finish a scarf for her dog before she lost interest ([I]I think she started and stopped 7 hobbies in the year we worked together, hee[/I]). After she had showed me some of the cool knitting sites out there, I decided that maybe I wanted to learn, but she dropped it so she never taught me.

I am very involved in another online community for my favorite singer/entertainer and several of the members are into knitting ([I]I had no idea![/I]). Turns out they started an off-topic thread for it in our Chatter section of the board and one Sunday morning in February, armed with my coffee, I sat down and began to read all 17 pages of the thread. Five cups of coffee later, I was running to my room to get dressed and run out to Target to get a knitting kit! I couldn’t wait to start! :happydance: That kit was hilarious and didn’t teach me squat ([I]seriously, why the HELL do they put eyelash yarn in a beginner knitters set??[/I]) but luckily I got some great books from the library, watched some of Amy’s fantastic vids and VOILA, instant obsession. I was also lucky enough to find a couple local stitch groups and met some awesome people who were so welcoming and enabling ([I]love those yarn whores[/I]), hee! :lol:

And in 2 weeks a whole gaggle of those crazy women from my other message board home are coming to visit for a concert with that artist and we are going on a GINORMOUS yarn crawl! They can’t wait because we have so many great yarn shops here including The Yarn Market with their 6 warehouses of yarn! I’m so excited I can hardly stand it. A whole weekend with some great friends, yarn shopping, knitting and seeing our “boyfriend” in concert. What more could a knitter ask for?? :woot:

A couple of years ago, my now husband and I were at Firestone tires waiting for his replacement tires and there was a little old lady sitting in the waiting area knitting a blanket. I asked her if I could watch and she was super sweet! Anyways, she invited me over to her house to teach me. I went over for my lesson and we ended up talking more about life and only a little about knitting (which is why I have yet to learn how to purl). So, we had such a nice time just visiting. I also had a couple of lessons from my mother in law. Then, I knitted a couple of placemats and scarves and then sort of dropped it for awhile. We got married, moved, my mother passed away and we had a baby…so in all that time, I hadn’t knitted.

Then recently, I picked it up again because I found a BEAUTIFUL, must have hat from La Folie…but couldn’t justify $40 for a baby’s hat. So, I thought I’ll try to make one myself…and while my first attempt isn’t quite the same, it’s good enough and just maybe next time I’ll figure out how to purl and how to do the earflaps. =)

Farrah

Everyone, thank you so much for responding to my question! :muah:To everyone who experienced any kind of loss, I am so sorry. I can relate to every one that has been mentioned.

To everyone who learned this wonderful skill - congratulations! It’s nice to know everyone has found it as comforting/entertaining as I have.

I enjoyed reading each of your responses - thank you for sharing!!

Let’s hear some more!!

Hi French Kiwi!

I visited your site as well! Wow - bilingual! I’m impressed!!

I have 9 cats - (I’m a certifiable crazy cat lady) - only Lilah is extremely interested in the knitting scene, therefore, she writes most of the knitting posts on our site.

Thanks for visiting, and please feel free to drop by anytime, and share the link with others. It thrills the cats (me) to get a lot of visitors and comments!!

Take care!

I started knitting because I’d always wanted to learn and one day thought, why wait? I wasn’t an all-the-time knitter at first. It wasn’t until I hit a major depression and lost my job that knitting became a matter of life-or-death to me. About that time, I also discovered the Yarn Harlot and largely credit her writing for saving my life. It’s a long story, but it involves my knitting the largest, ugliest piece of CRAP in my life - but it didn’t matter a bit because every stitch was my working something out. I didn’t care what it became or how it looked and when I ran out of yarn, I just picked another skein, regardless of color, texture, common sense, anything. I still have it in a box. I don’t even know what to call it. Except a tangible expression of the depths of my darkness and my way out of it.

Knitting was also something I used to soothe myself when my daddy was lying in the hospital near the end and especially after he died in April. It’s a gift and one I hope to pass on to as many others as I can in this life, hoping they’ll find it to be even half the blessing it’s been to me.

quiara~:hug::hug::hug::hug:
did your dad die THIS year or last year~:hug:

It was this year. 12:01a.m. Easter morning.

Hello. I am a sock addict.

Mum wanted to keep me busy so I was taught to knit so I could knit the plain bits inbetween the fairisle she was knitting. I was about 6. I have been cross stitching for many years but have recently returned to knitting.

I read both the Chicks with Sticks books and decided to learn to knit.

I moved to Duluth, MN from Atlanta, GA this past February. At church I heard they had a knit group and thought well that would be a way to get out of our temp house that was way too small. So I went and became hooked as it was absolutely the only craft I could do in the temp house. It was small and portable and perfect. When we moved to the new house I realized I have room for a stash and it has been building.:rofling: For me knitting helped get me through a difficult move and helped me make some friends which is something I don’t do well.

No, for me it was just a logical decision. I wanted some sort of hobby that was highly portable, that I could do while on the road, and would help me pass the time and relax after a day of driving, and allow for some measure of creative outlet.

Knitting just seemed like it met all of the criteria.

I saw a purse an online friend was talking about making, and I said, “Wow, I wish I knew how to knit.”

A couple of days later I realized I could just learn how to do it.

So I did…

:smiley:

I had brain cancer. Twice.

The first time, my cousin taught me how to crochet so I would have something to do while I sat at home and recovered.

The second time, I taught myself how to knit.

I quit smoking in March. I’m not sure if it was the medication, or the fact that I had nothing to do with my “time”, but I found that I had become a little bit hyper. I am a member at quitnet.com where I met & became friends with Knitting_Guy. I mentioned that I had always wanted to learn how to knit and he led me here and encouraged me to teach myself…thanks Mason:muah:

I am much more relaxed and as long as I have my kneedles in my hands, I’m not thinking about smoking…works quite well for me.

;)jeanette

I took up knitting many decades ago, to “deal” with my mother’s insistence :rollseyes: I wanted to read, she thought it would be “good for me” if I learned to knit. When I figured out I could do both at the same time, knitting simple beginner projects like scarves, I tried it out.

Thanks Mom!:cheering:

My son got sick very suddenly in Dec 2004, he was hospitalized for 3 months. A chaplain there suggested that I learn to knit to pass the time and there was a yarn store just 2 blocks away. I learned to knit at his PICU bedside.

I started knitting when my DH first became ill, even before he was diagnosed with cancer. What happened was he was losing more and more weight and no one could give us a reason why at the same time I was organizing a group of workers and I wanted to quit smoking. Well to make a long story short one of my DIL suggested that I learn how to knit. She said that it was all the rage and that it did wonders in reducing stress. Well I talked my mother into showing me how to CO and Amy’s videos did the rest. I quit smoking about 9 months after I learned how to CO. It was knitting that took me through Jerry’s chemo and radiation therapies as well as the lengthly and frustrating contract negotiations and it has also been knitting that has kept me smoke-free for over 2 1/2 years, and I still get cravings all the time but I just knit through them.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja :knitting:

There wasn’t any special event. Just a large craft store that had opened in the same shopping center as a donut shop I was working in. Happened to go in for a looksee and picked up a Teach Yourself To Knit the Columbia Minerva Way booklet (which I still have) and some yarn and needles…knitted my first pair of mittens…then tried the earwarmer pattern and then the child’s jumper and then the jester afghan all in that book. The afghan called for large needles and using a double strand of yarn. I wasn’t fond of using large needles or two strands and wasn’t terribly pleased with the afghan. This was back in the late 60s’s or early 70’s. Been knitting or crocheting OR collecting instruction/pattern booklets and knitting notions off and on ever since.
I only wish that I had tried circular needles back then.