Was there an event that "caused" you to start knitting?

I began knitting last December following a personal loss. I found it was a wonderful distraction that has become quite an addiction. I didn’t have any local resources, so using the internet (KH a lot) along with the book “I Can’t Believe I’m Knitting”, I taught myself. In May, I started a blog, because I thought it was a good way to keep track of my projects. (It has knitting content, but is just a general diary - written by my cats :wink:).

I am under the impression that many of us took up this craft as a way to “deal”. It helped me tremendously. Am I alone in this?

Sheer boredom. And making the mistake of going to Hobby Lobby while hungry.

I bought the learn to knit kit, and some FUGLY yarn. And thus it began.

I started knitting while I was pregnant. I don’t even know how I came up with the interest. I know absolutely no one who knits. Just one day I thought it would be cool. So I found a LYS and took lessons and I’ve been hooked! My mom and DH never thought I would be as committed as I am (it took me 5 months to knit my first item) but now I can’t stop!

So I thank my baby boy for influencing my obsession!

I had a personal loss in December as well (miscarriage), but I didn’t start knitting until about 3 months ago. However, I can imagine that knitting would have been a VERY therapeutic thing to do…I wish I had thought of it at the time!

I started because a friend of mine (who lives out of state) kept raving about knitting and how fun/addictive it is, and she encouraged me to try it (and told me about this site). So…I bought some Red Heart Super Saver, watched the videos and made a spring green scarf that is full of holes, lol. It looks like crap but I love it and I’ll probably keep it forever. :slight_smile:

I started knitting when i was 16, I moved to New Zealand and I didn’t know anyone. So I started knitting out of boredom. It took me 6 months to knit a sweater for my 5 year old cousin! Then I waited 10 years to take it up again, I was back in France and bored again! I was so disgusted with TV so I chucked mine out and ever since then (almost 10 years now…), I’m completely addicted to the needles!
I went to see your blog, how many cats do you have?? Are they as blasé about your balls of yarn as my cat is?
Happy knitting
FK

In December 2002 DH and I were visiting my in-laws for Christmas. Everyone (mother-in-law, father-in-law, and sister-in law) wanted to go see “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring”. DH and I had already seen in and DH’s Grandma wasn’t interested in seeing it, so I stayed home and asked Grandma to teach me to knit!

I knit off and on every once in a hile, just “playing”, never actually finishing anything… in Dec 2004 I had her give me a refresher course as she was visiting again… again never really finished anything!

Again in Dec 2005 I decided I should try knitting again… I actually finished some dishclothes and a Kitty Eggroll… but stopped again for a while. (I cross stitch, and that’s what usually sidetracked me!)

But last month I decided that I should knit… and really knit this time.

Thank you to this forum!!!

My dh had taken our dd to a soccer clinic and dropped off our ds at his grandparents’ house on the way. I was by myself for almost a week and a bit depressed and ultra bored because I’m used to being with my kids. A trip to HL (after mentioning to a friend very casually that I would like to try something new like knitting), and I was on my way!

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I started knitting to “deal” with a problem. Just not like you’re referring to! :teehee:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I was in the Army, stationed in Germany, in 1985. Got permission to live off-base, and found this adorable little attic apartment with dormers four stories up on Mozartstrasse (Mozart street) in the little town close by my base. The ground floor was divided in half, the left was a knitting store and the right was a tunnel into a courtyard. At the end of the courtyard was a tiny little church, the interior walls were covered with pipes for a magnificent pipe organ. Back in the day, the local prince, whose palace’s a few blocks away, had it built to entice Mozart to live with him. It worked and Mozart did stay there and compose/practice at the church. On nice warm days, the organist would leave the doors open and I’d have these wonderful evening concerts![/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Anyway, back to knitting. Everyday, I’d walk by the store. It wasn’t a yarn store, but a custom store, full of stuff she’d made, either by hand or machine. Well, I couldn’t stand it anymore, and I had this wonderful summer sweater made. Of course, it wasn’t cheap. I’d expected that, as I’m a seamstress/tailor and I understand the value of custom made clothing. BUT! I was well and truly addicted, soooo… [/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]In order to “deal” with this little addiction, I decided to learn, so I could have more sweaters! That Christmas, my gifts from my mother were her mother’s needles and a couple how-to books. I didn’t speak very good German, and I was shy, so I didn’t ask the store owner to teach me, but I sat down with the books and practiced and practiced. I still have that practice scarf too! Never been worn, but I couldn’t part from it. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Since then though, I’ve used my knitting to “deal” with depression, grief and the stress of a divorce. Now I use the knitting to “deal” with my high blood pressure, carpal tunnel and just plain relaxation. :happydancing:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I’ll have to dig out that sweater and post a pic. It’s a beautiful piece. I’ve never made anything quite so beautiful or complex, but hopefully someday I’ll be that good.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]LL[/SIZE][/FONT]

Yep, sure was. I had always wanted to learn, but didn’t know anyone who knitted so I never learned. Last summer I went through a severe depression and was out of work. I needed a distraction. . . I bought some yarn, found this site, and the rest is knitting history!

I graduated from college and needed a new challenge, so I got books from the library and some country blue and ivory Red Heart from Hobby Lobby.

I’d love to honestly say I started because I have a deep need to create, but that’s a load of crap in my case (totally bereft of real creativity). I started because I wanted a hobby I could do while I watch TV. If someone would feed me Cheetos while I sit in front of the TV knitting, I’d be the happiest man alive. I’d also be willing to eat Oreos dunked in milk while someone reads a good novel out loud.

Joe

I was 37 weeks pregnant with #3 and I needed something new to keep my hands and mind busy during the endless hours of Braxton Hicks Contractions. 4 days later I had my first FO (top down raglan baby sweater) and a new baby.

:roflhard:

:rofling: Excellent!!! (Just don’t get Cheeto dust or Oreo crumbs on the knitting!)

My best friend died and I began knitting as a last ditch effort to save myself from the same fate.

My daughter was the catalyst in my case. One day we were out shopping and she randomly picked up a pretty ball of yarn and asked me to buy it. I ended up buying my first knitting needles the same day and got down to business with the aid of an old Reader’s Digest needlework guide I had at home.

Debi

Oh Chel~!:hug::hug::hug::hug:

because i wanted to make something beautiful. my friend kk made me a garter stitch scarf for christmas one year and i became fascinated with it. i would hold it and stretch it out and look at the stitches and was just mesmerized. and the fact that she made it with her hands blew my mind. i had to try and make something just as beautiful.

Although I’ve been knitting on and off since I was a child I had stopped once I started residency because I just didn’t have the time for it. After I went through a break up with my ex I started knitting again just to have something else to focus on. It really helped me out.

I was actually afraid to knit because I knew I’d be addicted in no time! I used to do cross stitch all the time. When we moved to Shelton, I didn’t have a job and my MIL told me about this yarn shop. So one day I drove up to the shop, walked around and then the owner asked me if I wanted to learn. Picked out some yarn, she grabbed some needles and away I went and made ohh about 15 scarves for Christmas gifts. … Now that was 1 1/2 years ago and have also started a blog to show my finished objects!

And yes, my name is Erika and I’m addicted to knitting. Hi everyone!