Viveka Pattern help: New Question! This time about sleeves

[B]Ok new question![/B]

[B]The photos of this sweater makes it look to me like the sleeve clearly has a widening bell shape at the end, but there are no increases or anything in the directions to account for this.[/B]

[B]Is there not a bell shape? Or do you think switching from stockinette to the ribbing is what creates the illusion of shaping?[/B]

[B]Thanks![/B]

[B]PS–the neck/shoulder shaping went very smoothly on the left side, I’m soon to start the right![/B]

[B]----------------------[/B]

Hi!
Ok, I’m making Viveka from Knitty and I’ve just finished the front section–knitting until 13 inches (I’m making the medium). My next row will be knitting 51 stitches, putting the remainder on a holder, and then purling one row. This I understand.

Then I come to “Left Front” and there’s a warning to read ahead since neckline and shoulder shaping happen at the same time. That’s what I don’t understand…is there a demarcation or separate set of directions for “neck shaping” and “arm/shoulder shaping” that I’m not seeing? Because then it tells me to continue without the neckline shaping and a few lines later speaks of arm/shoulder shaping.

What I think I should do is follow the directions these directions

[I]Next Row[/I] [RS]: K to last 2 sts, k2tog.
Work 4 rows in stockinette st.
[I]Next Row[/I] [WS]: P2tog, p to end.
Work 4 rows in stockinette st.
Repeat these 10 rows 6[4, 4, 6, 3, 4, 4] times more.

As is for 6 inches, until the piece measures 19 inches. At that point, I assume I won’t be finished with all those repeats yet…but I should then also include the CO and directions for arm/shoulder shaping as well?

But I don’t see where there is any shaping for the arm/shoulder aside from this one specific row:

When work[COLOR=black]measures[/COLOR] 18.5[18.5, 19, 20, 20.5, 21, 21.5] [COLOR=black]inches[/COLOR], CO 6[6, 7, 7, 8, 8, 8] sts at beg of next RS row.

I also don’t see the need for the direction that says to continue in stockinette without further neckline shaping just above that.

Can anybody help steer me to the right path?
Thanks!

Yes, that’s the shaping for for the neckline. When you have 19", you’ll CO 6 sts for the armholes and will still be doing the directions for the neck shaping too until you’ve done all the repeats it says and cont in st st until the whole piece is 24" and then you BO for the shoulders.

:thumbsup:
Thanks! I like to have someone else agree with me before I embark on potential madness. :teehee:

I’m glad that you could understand my run on sentence…