Very beginner questions about a pattern

Hey everybody! These questions are probably really silly, but I need some clarification. Please don’t laugh at my noob-ness. :wink: This is my first time reading a pattern (and I just started knitting). It’s like trying to learn a new language.

I have some questions about this pattern. Seed Stitch Hat I believe you have to sign up at their website to view it, but I posted the relevant info here for those who can’t see the pattern.

[B]First question:[/B]
The pattern says to “Cast on 80 sts. Work in k1, p1 rib for 3 rows. Work in Seed st until Hat measures 5 in. (12.5 cm) from beginning, end with a WS row.”

That is 5 inches in height, right?

[B]Second question:[/B]
The pattern says “Row 1 (RS): *(K1, p1) 4 times, k2tog; rep from * - 72 sts.”

Okay, is the number 72 the amount of stitches I will have starting the next row (because of the k2tog decreases)?
[B]
Third question:[/B]
To finish this hat the pattern says I have to “Sew back seam.” Ummm, do I sew it with the yarn and a tapestry like needle or do I do it with regular sewing needles and thread? I can sew on buttons and fix holes and such but I wouldn’t exactly call myself a seamstress. Is this a very difficult process? Should I be scouring Youtube for videos on how to do this?

I know those are ridiculous questions but I’m honestly not sure of the answers. This will be my first “real” project (I made a garter stitch scarf that turned out well, I think). If this hat turns out all wonky I’ll still proudly wear it (under a hood :lol:).

Thanks in advance for any responses. I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Don’t be afraid to ask questions! Learning knitting patterns [I]is[/I] like learning a new language.

Answer to your first question:

Yes, in terms of a hat, it would be height. You will knit until you have 5" of fabric. As you knit, this will become clearer.

Answer to your second question:

Yep. When you decrease or increase in a pattern, it will generally tell you how many stitches you will have at the end of that row or round just to help you keep track.

Answer to your third question:

When you seam up knitting, you will use a yarn needle and typically a strand of the yarn you knit with. (If the yarn is really bulky, I will usually split the plies and use just some of them, or find matching thinner yarn or embroidery floss. Otherwise the seam will be really bulky.) I really recommend you get some Chibis.The bent tip actually makes seaming knitted fabric easier.

There are several ways to do seaming in knitting, but I personally prefer doing what’s called the mattress stitch. You actually do this with the public side of the knitting facing you, not the inside. It results in a pretty much invisible seam.

There is a video here on knitting help on the knitting tips video page:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

This is a good article about seaming:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/mattress.html

Always feel free to ask questions. They aren’t ridiculous. What would be ridiculous would be if you spent hours doing something incorrectly because you didn’t ask! :wink:

Thank you so much! Very helpful!

Now I’m off to make my hat. I’ll be sure to post pictures when I’m done. :mrgreen:

Marria answered almost exactly as I would have (except I haven’t gotten around to buying chibis yet – they always seem to slip my mind when I’m ordering). I will second the mattress stitch for you though. Strange as it may seem, I love doing that. It’s fairly easy, once you get the hang of it, and I think it’s really quick.

Thanks Knit4Pie!:slight_smile: