Varigated Cables

I asked the question a few days ago about using cables and varigated yarn. I decided to go ahead and give it a try. Although, as many said, the cables are not as distinct as they would be with solid yarn I think I like the overall effect. I had a hard time getting a good picture, if I tried to take the whole scarf it REALLY was hard to see so I zoomed in on a section. Face to face the cables do show.

You can see them better if you click on the picture and enlarge it a bit. The yarn is Esperanza by Schaefer.

I have a question though…

Do you “block” cables? The scarf (Irish Hiking scarf) is a bit drawn together and if I could block it a bit flatter I think the cables would pop out even more.

I don’t think they show as well as they would in a solid, but it looks beautiful!

Blocking depends a lot on the type of yarn. If it’s an acrylic it won’t block anyway. As far as I know you can block cables though.

Thanks Jan, it is wool so I am going to give it a try.

Some people say NEVER block ribbing or cables, but IMO you can. You want your knitting to look finished all the time, not only when it doesn’t include cables/ribbing. I might try it on the last few inches just in case I weren’t happy with it and needed to undo a bit and redo… or I might do a spray block instead of a total wet block… or I might just wet block, depending on my mood. Do take a few minutes to mold the cables, which is kind of prodding/plucking them in to the shape you want.
The only caveat I’d have actually, is don’t stretch them out too much while wet, they might get misshapen that way.

i think it’s absolutely gorgeous! :inlove:
the combination of the variegation and cables is what will make people do a double take and then really look at the scarf to make sure they’re seeing it right. great job!!! :thumbsup:

Well, I did a wet block (wish I had seen the suggestion to do the spray block first) yesterday and the scarf is currently drying. I THINK I achieved my desired result, I did pick and mold the cables when I lay it to dry. I’ll know better when it’s dry. I’ll let you know what the end result is.

I am also working on an Irish Hiking Hat to go with the scarf and I gotta say the varigated cables are starting to grow on me. I think Lady Violet is right, it adds intrigue!

Ginny,

I think the scarf is lovely. I blocke a cabled sweater I recently made and it turned out just fine.

I hope you like the result.

Jana