Variations on a Modular theme?

I’m always wary of opening a so-called ‘New’ topic - I do realise that there’s nothing new and most things have been tackled here, which is why it’s such a great forum; so I guess I’m never sure whether it’s better to hitch a ride on an old thread, or start it up again? I’ve been getting to grips (sort of!) with modular knitting, and enjoying it pretty much, so went back over old posts and of course found lots on the subject, and good recommendations for books, one or two of which I’ve got. The question I wanted to put out there, which could be a really dumb ask, not sure, is whether or not anyone knows if it’s possible to do mitred squares (modular knitting) in any other stitch but garter? I like garter, it looks good, but it’s not the be all and end all of knitting, really, is it!! I wondered if anyone had tried the mitred modular thing with, say, seed (moss) stitch? I think stocking stitch would curl too much, as I understand it, but might there be clever things one could do, math willing, with other stitches? Any ideas??

I think I’ve cracked it! Tiny triumph! And something I’m absolutely certain others will have long since accomplished. Duh. But there we are, it’s all part of one’s own personal journey, isn’t it? Anyway I’ve worked out how to do mitred squares in seed/moss stitch. This only makes any sense, I realise, if you change colours within the square, otherwise, apart from the nice diagonal line of the decreases, there’s not much point - you might as well just knit a seed stitch square. But changing colours obviously takes that stripe around the right angle. It’s made me very happy, a) managing to work it out at all (!!) and b) being able to do modular knitting in seed/moss stitch, which I really like as a stitch; it always reminds me of those iron Chinese or Japanese teapots that are sort of bumpy, especially if you do it in a very dark colour. I know, strange….each to her own, I daresay??!! I’m looking forward to anyone replying who’s known how to do this all along, or who has other stitches that work for mitred square/modular knitting? Or who likes Chinese/Japanese bumpy metal teapots!!

4 Likes

Hello
I’ve never heard of modularity tiling so you have taught me so etching new. I had to quickly look it up to see what it was.
Any chance of showing us a photo of your seed stitch mitred square success?

1 Like

Good for you for working this out. I love seed stitch (and the Asian bumpy metal teapots). It can be tedious to work but the resulting pattern is worth the effort.
I agree about changing colors or using self-striping yarn with mitred squares. It’s like the look of the baby surprise jacket with the color changes. So much more interesting.

I totally love the Baby Surprise Jacket, and have just, as it happened, finished my first one! It’s almost a shame to sew up the shoulder seams, it’s so much fun watching people trying to work out what this strange little bit of origami-esque shaping is going to turn into. I’ve yet to find anyone who can manage to do it! I’ll happily own up, too, to downloading Meg Swansen’s video where she talks you through every single step of the way - not sure that I’d have managed otherwise - like having someone sitting next to you and keeping you on track, so helpful.

I’ll try and post a photo of the seed stitch mitred square, though I think I might find posting photos a tougher gig than solving the seed stitch shaping…!

1 Like

Well, I thought I’d managed the photo - there’s a lot of twirly-whirling going on, so it may still arrive….??

1 Like

Don’t know what I’m doing wrong but shall give up for now, too much to do!!

I didn’t know about the video. Thanks for the help. I’ve been encouraging a friend to give the BSJ a try.

For the photo, make sure the photo is a medium size (if posting from a phone photo) and not too large. That can hang up the posting.

1 Like

Schoolhouse Press is where you can get the video (or there’s a stream option) of Meg Swansen talking you through it - it’s a lovely site. The video, and updates to the original pattern, are made by Elizabeth Zimmerman’s grandson, Cully Swansen (Meg is his mother); a family affair. The other thing they have is a truly brilliant program for calculating different sizes of the BSJ (and the adult version); you put in your gauge and the measurements you are trying to achieve, and it calculates every single row for you to print out and follow. Brilliant! Worth every penny of the price, honestly, when you think how many hours you will be devoting to making something so worth making.

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, I only find these posts in the catch up email!
I made up a pattern for mitred squares a few years ago as I wanted to make a blanket which wasn’t all garter but was still square rather than diamond.
I’ll try to link to my Ravelry project so you can see the results. I can email you the word file with the instructions if you’re interested!
https://www.ravelry.com/projects/melbroomhanger/afghan-or-blanket-of-mitred-squares

Actually, it’s rather basic - alternating SS and garter, with a central double decrease

It’s a wow! Indeed a cheerful blanket for your son’s room. Beautiful work, very well done.
Did you pick up sts on one side of a square to continue with the next or did you seam each square?

I’m not sure if this answer is applicable to this discussion, but I did see a sweater pattern that uses mitered squares (not garter) at frogandcast.com. The “I Love Hue” sweater. Maybe that will give you some ideas?

I seamed it! It was a nightmare and took almost as long as the knitting! I had to pin my chosen configuration of squares to a sheet and then unroll it each night to sew a bit more :rofl::rofl:. Needless to say, my daughter’s got differently constructed blankets when it was their turn!!

1 Like

I really look forward to checking it out, Mel61 - it’s late here (I live in Hong Kong) and Ravelry has just said my password’s wrong, so I’ll have another go tomorrow. I went off the squares I was working on, at least for now, though managed to make half squares and still keep the middle ‘spine’, which pleased me!! Small achievements keep one going! I just didn’t much like what I was trying to do, though the learning curve was worth it. I got a second hand copy of one of Horst Schultz’s books, the one for children; it’s full of lovely things, but goodness the instructions are minimal, some of it might have been in Cantonese for all I could get my head around it. I have a feeling that, as is often the case, instructions need to be read with wool and needles in hand, not just looked at theoretically Maybe it’ll make sense, some of it, if one actually tries knitting along with the few bits of instructions supplied. I do really find some instructions take so much for granted, which makes it SO hard for anyone who isn’t super-experienced or completely intrepid. Anyway; very glad to have all the suggestions submitted, and one day I’ll learn how to post a photo….???!

Worth every bit of the effort!

1 Like

Hi Lalla, I agree about instructions. It’s often harder to read them as narrative than it is to work with needles in hand. You’re always welcome to ask about puzzling instructions on the forum.

To post a photo in general, go to the landscape icon in the middle of the banner at the top of a Reply box. Then just follow the directions to choose the photo and upload.

:rofl::rofl:
I’m rubbish at posting photos, links etc!

Finally got back into Ravelry…brilliant, Mel61! Massive amount of work! I’ve gone off what I was doing, at least for now (story of my life! It’s all too easy to start another project, isn’t it). But looking at your blanket has cheered me up. Still can’t crack the photo-posting thing - it says it’s going fine but then nothing appears. Life’s too short to keep on keeping on!!

You might find that your photos are too large? Most phones take such high quality pictures now as default. I often have to save mine as a smaller files before I can upload to anywhere!!

1 Like