Using stitch markers to mark where left off

Hello! I have a really dumb question but as a new knitter I am hoping someone can help.

I am knitting a wide shawl with over 350 stitches. My question is, if I need to put my knitting down without completing a row can I use a stitch marker on my left needle to show where I need to start up once I get back to it again? Hope my question makes sense.

Appreciate your experience!
Mary

That would be one way. Another is to remember the yarn always comes from the right.

For starting out in this process of knitting and not going backward when you pick it up again, whatever works. I used to use a piece of scrap yarn pulled through stitches since I didn’t have locking stitch markers at the time (easily placed wherever I want them) and markers tended to get lost. After a while you’ll be able to tell just by where the yarn is as @MumandMimi says.

I’ve been knitting long enough I should never ever in a million years have this problem but I was careless and did this very thing not long ago. Eventually it’s more irritating and annoying than a crisis. I remember well when it was a crisis.

2 Likes

Thank you both! I get what you mean MumandMimi, it does make sense that as long as the yarn is on the right needle that should clue me in. Just never thought of it that way! I guess I’m just a bit paranoid about this project. I have only done dishcloths and a couple scarfs up until now. I just remember one time putting my work down in the middle of the row and when I went back to it found I was knitting the wrong way:( I think I have a better understanding now.

Thanks again!
Mary

1 Like

As I say to all the students (children and adults), “Making mistakes is a good way to learn.” I often ask after a kid makes a mistake, “Now, what did you learn from that?”

Glad things are going better for you.

I was lookingup one thing about knitting and learned a new cast on instead. Now, back to my knitting.

1 Like