Using Circular Needles - practice?

So how did yous guys get acclimated to using a circular needle? Was there a way for you to practice? Is there a good way to practice? I have a 10 1/2 circ cable and I have cast on about 50 stitches so far, and the cable part just seems ‘wonky’. Is it going to be awkward?

I am one of those people that likes to practice using the equipment before I actually try making a pattern so I know whether or not I can use it.

TIA from a knit knewbie.:aww:

It helps if the cable has been straightened out. Addis and Option cables don’t curl, but other brands start out curly. You can dip it in hot water and lay it straight, or use a blow dryer.

Sometimes the weight of the knitting holds the cord in place, but for a practice piece it may not get that big.

How long is the cable? Are you knitting in the round or back and forth?

Inox and Inox Express don’t curl up either. But if it is curly, soak it in some boiling water for about 3-5 minutes. That straightens it right out. I’ve only seen curly cables in some of the cheapo circular needles from Wal Mart or wherever. Usually the more expensive ones don’t curl.

Re: the straightening out tip - THANK YOU! That will help me out tremendously.

Re: length of cable - I haven’t started any thing yet, I was just looking for info.

thank you!

They’re asking the length of the cord/cable of your needles. Are the needles 24, 29, 32, 36 inches long?

Well unfortunately I have a hand-me-down cheapo cable, and I am one of those people that is usually determined to ‘make it work’. Thanks for the thip! :thumbsup:

All of my needles are cheapy ones and some are about 30 years old. I’d never heard of the hot water trick and found they straighten out after using them. And I’ve never put them away coiled up… not that there’s much time they haven’t had something on them.

The length of the cable makes a difference in what you can knit. It’s measure from needle point to needle point. To make hat you need a 16 inch cable for sweaters usually a 24 in or so.

One thing to pay attention to is that you are knitting on the OUTSIDE of the circle. If you knit on inside your work will be inside out. :wink:

I have a 16" (10 1/2) and a 29" (8). I didn’t realize that there were different lengths! Just shows you that I haven’t been able to use them yet. Thank you for your replies. I have been doing a little reading up and it all agrees with what yous guys have been saying.

Well of course it does… would we steer a new knitter the wrong way…? :wink: Those are great sizes to practice on, you can use the 10.5s to make a hat with.

Just be wary of dipping the entire ndl and cable into hot water if there’s a chance the connection could become loose (essentially making them unusable). When I feel the need, I do the blow dryer method (all mine are cheaper mfg) but as long-time knitter I know they’ll settle down once weighted with the fabric. If the cable is tad unwieldy and you have little knitted, you can hang stitch holders (large pin type) on it which is sometimes just enough weight to pull it out of the way.

cam