Using a Jack Pin

In sorting my knitting instructions etc. I found reference to using a Jack Pin which looks like an oversized wooden knitting needle, but nothing on how to use one. I think it would make an interesting effect in any pattern. I’m experimenting on my own but would like any info if anyone has any.

Hmmm, I’m curious. I have several large, wooden needles in some tools I got from a friend who’s grandmother knitted. I just wonder if these are “Jack” pins and what they’re used for. Mary

Jack Pin is the British term for over-sized needles. (In general, Pin is the British word for knitting needle.)

Many thanks, brittyknits. I think that’s what I saw in the picture. Since the page showed a regular sized needle and this “Jack Pin” I guess you just knit with 2 different sized needles. I’ll give it a try.

Thanks for your reply mwhite. I think another post hit the jackpot saying it was just an oversized needle. I’m guessing you just knit with 2 different sized needles. I’ll give it a try and see what effect I get!

In some knitting traditions one of the needles is actually anchored under the arm in a sheath or even braced on a belt around the knitter’s waist.

Is your jack pin super long? This may be an example of such a needle.

I’m no expert… just a guesser :slight_smile:


Hmm … can’t say I’ve come across the term ‘Jack Pin’ before…

wonder why the word ‘Jack’?

I knit with a long, straight needle tucked under my right arm, as do alot of knitters of my vintage in this area. It’s technically known as ‘Shetland’ knitting.

If you open the link, scroll down a little bit and you’ll find a diagram of this method. The orange text to the left is also a link to a history of northern English - mainly Yorkshire Dales - knitting and shows how a belt was used to stabilise the right needle.

You can still buy these belts from a firm in Scotland.

All the Best

Ellie (the Lancashire one)

“Jack” as in “Union Jack?”
“Jack” as in lifting (a car with a flat tire, for instance)?
The term Jack pin also seems to be used in relation to computer and audio equipment – a fastening device.

And where did the Allen wrench get its name?

I’ve no idea - I’m gonna hit the road …

All the Best