(Update question) please help?

I started this pattern but I don’t understand how it’s worded. The next row I need to do says:

Next row worked as follows from the right side.

1 edge stitch in garter stitch, purl (2) 6 stitches, A. 1(=14 stitches which increase to 18 stitches), purl (14) 14 stitches, A. 1(=14 stitches which increase to 18 stitches), purl (2) 6 stitches and finish with one edge stitch in garter stitch = (56) 64 stitches on the row.

Purl 1 row from the wrong side (edge stitches worked in garter stitch).

The next row is worked as follows from the right side: 1 edge stitch in garter stitch, A. 3 over the first (2) 6 stitches , A. 4 (=18 stitches), purl (14) 14, A. 5 (=18 stitches), A. 3 over the next (2) 6 stitches and finish with 1 edge stitch in garter stitch. Then Work as described under ALL SIZES!

The rest of the pattern is written similarly, maybe if someone could please help me understand what it means the way it’s written I’ll be able to figure out the rest? :sweat_smile:

Welcome!
What is the name of the pattern you’re working and can you tell us whether it’s a sweater, blanket or something else?
Sometimes, the (2) 6sts refers to two different sizes. If so can you tell us which size you’re making?

I figured it out, I don’t know why I was making it harder than it is.
Its the cable snooze pattern by DROPS design, a bunting bag, premie size. It’s a really busy pattern, several charts and written instruction over several pages. Way too much work for a relaxing night of knitting :joy:

You’re right, it had to do with sizes and there are so many patterns within the pattern that there are multiple instances of (2)6 or some variation.

Thank you for wanting to help though! (I’m so embarrassed)

Oh, darling and yes, very complicated pattern stitches.

Good for you for figuring it out. Sometimes reading aloud or just writing out a question helps to make sense of a pattern. We’d love to see a photo of the finished bunting!

Here are 2 of the charts. The rows aren’t numbered on the charts or in the writing so I’m not sure how to read the charts or how to put the pattern rows together, if that makes sense.

I start at the bottom right that’s RS row 1?
Next would be WS row 2 read from left to right?

Would the wrong side in the chart correspond with the WS within the written part?

As in,
RS row 1: K1, P6, A. 1 chart - row 1, P14, A. 1 chart - row 1, P6, K1

WS “row 2”: K1, K6, A. 1 chart - row 2, K14, A. 1 chart - row 2, K6, K1

Or

RS row 1: K1, P6, A. 1 chart - row 1, P14, A. 1 chart - row 1, P6, K1

WS “row 2”: K1, P62, K1

:sweat_smile: I wish I knew someone IRL who could help me with this.

Read the chart starting at the lower right. Row 1 (and all RS rows) are read right to left. All WS rows are read left to right.

The written instructions are starting you out and placing the charts. There are stitches between the charts which the written instructions give you. For example:

SIZES (<0) 0/1 MONTH: Row 1
1 edge stitch in garter stitch, purl (2) 6 stitches, A.1 purl (14) 14 stitches, A.1 , purl (2) 6 stitches and finish with 1 edge stitch in garter stitch = (56) 64 stitches on the row.
Row 2
Purl 1 row from the wrong side (edge stitches worked in garter stitch).

You’ll notice that row 2 in A.1 is also purl all sts.

Thank you :blush:

One more thought.
The pattern then changes to the following before the All Sizes section:

The next row is worked as follows from the right side: 1 edge stitch in garter stitch, A.3 over the first (2) 6 stitches, A.4 (= 18 stitches), purl (14) 14, A.5 (= 18 stitches), A.3 over the next (2) 6 stitches and finish with 1 edge stitch in garter stitch.

That sets up the charts to follow but I don’t see that it tells you what to do with the center purl 14sts. From the photo, those sts are purl on the RS, knit on the WS.

I see why so few people have actually done this pattern :joy:

Adding up the chart stitches and the P14, one should get the appropriate amount of stitches. I’m making size 0/1, so 64 stitches.

I agree that the P14 is P on the RS and K the WS.

Would the set up row be the repeat of the pattern?
RS: K1, A. 3, A. 4, P14, A. 5, A. 3, K1
WS: K1, A. 3, A. 4, K14, A. 5, A. 3, K1

If that’s correct, after the initial set up row, would I start again as the RS or continue on as the WS? (I hope that makes sense)

Sorry, I’ve never worked charts let alone charts with written instruction. :disappointed_relieved:

Yes, 64 sts after the first row. I’m calling the first row the one right after SIZES (<0) 0/1 MONTH: That’s the row that increases from 56 to 64sts, a RS row. Row 2 (WS) is purl across with the edge sts in garter.

The next 2 rows are as you’ve written with the RS row, row 1 of the charts and the WS row, row 2 of the charts. From then on, follow the charts, repeating from the beginning of the chart as necessary.

Getting started on these patterns with multiple charts is always the hardest part. Once you see the pattern begin to emerge, it all makes more sense. I’ve found it important to place markers for the beginning and end of each chart, at least for the first repeat.

I’m sorry, please to clarify…
A. 3 would be:
Row 1: P1, K1
Row 2: P1, K1
Row 3: K1, P1
Row 4: K1, P1

Correct? :sweat:

Yes, that’s the way you would actually knit the chart in rows.