Understanding wording in pattern

I’m having a problem with the pattern that is Sirdar pattern # 1418 called vintage bonnets & bows. Raglan lace front Cardie. There is four rows starting the pattern, one lace pattern and then repeat of purls on alternate. I did first 4 then it reads keeping continuity do 4 more rows without shaping proceed as follows then goes onto what says Next Row: If I am going back to original 4 before doing this " next" row then my stitches don’t work out. Sorry am just finding this confusing. If I carry on to “Next Row” the stitches work out.
Hope this makes sense and thanks so much
Shar

So if I understand correctly, you work the 4 row lace pattern and then go to Next Row, you have the correct stitch count but if you repeat the 4 row lace pattern twice, your stitch count is off?
Can you give us the stitch counts and the lace pattern rows? If rows 2 and 4 are purl rows then rows 1 and 3 are all we need to see.

Maybe this pattern:

Cast on 107
I was wondering if I was allowed to take pic of wording but the first row is: k4 p2, yon, s1, k1, psso ,k1, k2tog, yfwd, yrn, p2 knit to last 13 sts, repeat from * once,k4

Beg of row 2 (alternate row) p4,*k2,p5,k2 then purl to last 13 sets, rep from * once

Row3: k4, p2, k1, yfwd ,sl1, k2tog, psso, yfwd, k1, p2 k9, k2tog, k4, s1, k1, psso, k47, k2 tog, k4, s1, k1, psso, k9, rep from * to once, k4 (103) sts
Sorry my auto correct kicks in and kept trying to fix it.
Row 3 is the only one with sts. Other than after that 4 rows in question (Next Row) end of that is 99 sts
Thank u

Also yes looks like the pattern although I was doing the collar on it

That autocorrect!
Well, I can’t get the row to add up. If you can take a photo of just the lace pattern rows perhaps that would be best.
How many sts do you have when you start the lace pattern?

I’m sorry, that cast on would be 115 (doing newborn/6 months). There is one row knit then 2 more garter stitch and Row 4 (this is before the lace pattern starts) is k4 and leave these on a safety pin, knit to last 4 and leave the last 4 on a pin

Change to 4 mm needle

107 stitches
I was wondering if I was allowed to take pic of wording but the first row is: k4 p2, yon, s1, k1, psso ,k1, k2tog, yfwd, yrn, p2 knit to last 13 sts, repeat from * once,k4

Beg of row 2 (alternate row) p4,*k2,p5,k2 then purl to last 13 sets, rep from * once

Row3: k4, p2, k1, yfwd ,sl1, k2tog, psso, yfwd, k1, p2 k9, k2tog, k4, s1, k1, psso, k47, k2 tog, k4, s1, k1, psso, k9, rep from * to once, k4 (103) sts
Sorry my auto correct kicks in and kept trying to fix it.
Row 3 is the only one with sts. Other than after that 4 rows in question (Next Row) end of that is 99 sts
Thank u
I was trying to get a pic but not sure if Im hitting wrong button button only uploads info but not the image. Haven’t uploaded onto here before

For row 1, add in the asterisks:
first row is: k4 * p2, yon, s1, k1, psso ,k1, k2tog, yfwd, yrn, p2 * knit to last 13 sts, repeat from * once,k4

For row 3, it seems that there’s a couple of asterisk missing. If you add in a 9 stitch repeat, row 3 works for 107 sts and ends with 103 sts.
Row3: k4, * p2, k1, yfwd ,sl1, k2tog, psso, yfwd, k1, p2 * k9, k2tog, k4, s1, k1, psso, k47, k2 tog, k4, s1, k1, psso, k9, rep from * to * once, k4 (103) sts

I’m so sorry, that was when I back tracked to put spaces between to make it easier to read. I was too worried about the commas. I am missing my laptop for sure! When I did Row 1-4 it was ok until I got to where the next section read “keeping continuity proceed as follows” work 4 more rows without shaping so I went back to do another repeat of those 4 rows and when I got to row 3 my stitches were less and wasn’t sure if I should have just proceeded to where it said, Next Row instead of repeating the last 4 where there was the decreasing.

You won’t be able to repeat the 4 rows exactly as given because of the decrease. The directions in row one are fine because you knit to the last 13sts but for row 3 you’d need to work 4 fewer sts. Instead of k47, it’ll probably work if you knit 43sts on the second repeat.
Is this the only lace panel or are there directions for a panel without decreases for the fronts?

1 Like

This is worked in one piece to armholes. There is the “divide” for front and back where I pattern 21 and put on holder for right front and then there would be the collar in lace.

That was what made me wonder why they said do another 4 rows without shaping and made me think I would have to just carry on to where it is “Next Row” which I tried that Row and it worked so I figured it was because of k4, patt9, k8 ( instead of the previous k9 ) Do you think maybe it’s that Row I do ?
That Row reads: k4, patt9, k8, k2 tog, k4, s1, k1, psso, k45, k2 tog,k4,sl1, k, psso, k8, patt 9, k4 but that would be 99 sts. Then work 8 rows dec 4 sts across Row as before in 8 th and every and every following (0) rows and ( 95 ) stitches
So there would still be decreases in. There were no asterisks lol
I’m thinking that maybe I should try a different pattern if this one isn’t clear and I’m going to mess it up. I really appreciate all yr time

Is this before you split for the armholes?
It seems like the decreases maybe part of the A-line shaping. You can certainly give going to the Next Row a try. If that continues to work with the lace panels, that’s great. You’ve probably solved it!

Hi, I’m having a similar issue! This is my first time doing a piece of clothing and I’ve navigated the arm holes…and now onto the neck!

it says:

I’m having trouble where it says K8, turn work … --> I get what they’re saying but it’s not making sense to me. In the next bit, do I bind off 2 of the 8 stitches on the edge? or two of the ones I didn’t work?

Confused!!

Welcome!
Yes, knit 8sts and turn leaving the remainder of the row on the needle. You’ll get to these sts later. Bind off 2 of the 8sts you just knit. This’ll be at the neck edge. Finish the row, turn and bind off the remaining 6sts for this shoulder. You can cut your yarn leaving about a 6 inch tail to weave in later.

Thanks!! that super helpful!