Understanding pattern

I’m knitting baby booties, The direction is as follows.
Cast on 26 stitches, Garter stitch for the next 10 rows.
the next row, bind off 10 stitches at the beginning, finish row,
The next row bind off 10 stitches at the beginning, leaving you with 6 stitches in the middle.
When I do this, I have no stitches on my needle. Are there suppose to be or do I have to pick up the middle stitches? I don’t understand how this can be done because those stitches on the top look like this <>, sort of like that but attached to each other. resembling a V but sideways.

This is a copy of directions
Cast on 26 stitches. Work in Garter Stitch for 10 rows. Bind off 10 stitches at the beginning of the next row. Finish row. Bind off 10 stitches at the beginning of the next row- this leaves you with 6 stitches in the middle. Garter Stitch remaining stitches for 20 rows. Bind off.

If you have 26 stitches and bind off 10 that leaves you with 16. Knit to end of row and turn and bind off 10 you should have 6 left. Be careful you’re only binding off the correct number.

You could also think of it as binding off till you have 16, knit the rest and turn. Then bind off till you have 6 left. It’s hard to count bind off sometimes because you use two stitches .